Knight mountaineer vs knight LRH .52cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigshow

Reaction score
Hello to all. I'm new to this thread. I'm looking in getting a new Knight rifle. I will be shooting the blackhorn 209 and bloodline bullets. I'm looking at the Knight mountaineer, the disc extreme, and the long range hunter all in .52 cal.. the Knight long range hunter is on sale right now. I have held all 3 and like the feel of them all. Just looking for thoughts. I thank yall for the help in advance.

I can't speak to the Mountaneer but I have several rifles built on the Disc platform. Knight has always been known for quality with Green Mountain barrels and high end stocks. The laminate stocks are beautiful in my mind.

The bolt action MZ has pros and cons. I like to move the charge out from under my chin and the added length is not an issue for me. I also like the fact that I can break down and clean every part of the gun. This may annoy some who want a quick vs thorough cleaning routine.

The LRH is a big gun which would be fine if most of your hunting is done from the stand. The Extreme has been my hunting gun of choice these past few years. I find the platform to be extremely accurate with some load development.

I hope that helps.

I can't imagine you not being happy with the Mountaineer, quality all around. Not a thing wrong with the 52 cal except possibly availability of bullets and sabots. I'm sure if you sniff around you can find them. It's just something to consider.

For deer hunting I've drifted to the 45 cal the past few years. I like the 2200+ FPS.

Seems to me having to feed a 52 caliber could end up being a pain. Myself, i once owned a Mountaineer, and it felt good to shoulder, but i never took it hunting, because it was long and heavy. Currently i own an Extreme. Have you considered an Ultra-Light..

I have a Knight Disc Extreme in .52. Just stock up on a supply of bullets from Knight and keep a stock pile.

I have been shooting the 375 gr. Red Hot bullets in front of 120 grains of Triple 7 and I have been impressed with the downrange accuracy. Since I hunt in the west on the plains, I use a 150 yard zero with a high projectile path of 2.75 inches at 75 yards and a drop to -2.60 at 175 yards. Any change in bullet or powder will dramatically change these computations.

This is combined with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 with their BDC. Although the scope has been fine on both a Remington 7mm magnum previously and now the Knight, I will be replacing it with another scope soon. I prefer stadia lines as opposed to the circles for longer ranges. I also want to be able to dial in range- so I need another scope. I am actually considering the Super Sniper 6x40 which has a Mil-Dot reticle. I will add a Kenton dial for specific ranges utilizing the same load. This should give me the best of both worlds.

Do the math for your rifle, combine it with a good scope and reticle, then shoot the distances to confirm. Pay special attention to how the math changes based on the power setting of your scope if it is a 2nd FP scope. Because of those changes, my Nikon is set at 6x and I only shoot at that setting so I do not have to contend with the sometimes huge (ballistic) differences in the impact point per aiming circle based on the various power settings.

It is always fun to find, modify and then use the set up for yourself. Decide what you need and there are plenty of tools out there to make it happen.

Good hunting,

Not sure i'd want to be restricted to the .52 cal bullets that are available. The choice for .50 is so much larger.

There is a pretty good selection of .458 bullets and a fair selection of .475 bullets. You wont find many under 300gr though so if shooting big boomers is not your bag, you may prefer a 50cal.

In hindsight I would most likely go with a .50, but as in most of my firearms for hunting, once a good load/bullet is found I stick with it. So the idea of a limited range of bullets doesn't bother me in the least.

We all have a list and the Long Range Hunter is on mine. Not the thumbholed stock though.

Just a heads up.

You used to be able to buy a LRH barrel/action and that action will fit in other Knight stocks. Ive done one myself and its far lighter than a LRH with a OEM stock.

Latest posts

Back