Black Diamond and deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Shooting the Black Diamond XR today was as usual, pretty boring. It fired perfect. I was shooting 100 grains of Schuetzen 2f Black Powder, the dark blue 40/50 sabots, and 200 grain .40 caliber yellow tip Shockwaves. I never had a misfire. I was using the #11 ignition system which consisted of the standard Black Diamond breech plug and a stainless steel, non ported #11 nipple. I was using Winchester Magnum/CCI Magnum caps (same thing) and when fired, they blew apart and fell out of the breech with little problem.

Because I was shooting #11 caps the rifle stayed relatively clean in the breech area. I would on occasion wipe the nipple clear of fouling but never had to wipe out the breech. The rifle shot flawless.

I started at 50 yards to see where it would group these 200 grain Shockwaves. Normally I shoot the 250 grain Shockwaves (but an currently out of them).

30-DSCN0652a_zpsf4b2ab73.jpg

The first shot on a clean barrel... and I know this rifle likes to throw that shot... was 9:30 of the bull. The lowest of the main group. Then I began shooting and swabbing between shots with Rusty Duck Black Off. I would do a simple swab down the bore with a very lightly damp patch, working the barrel good. The one shot, not in that 50 yard group, was the single hit at 12:00 on the bulls eye, just above it. The 50 yard group is the first on the clean bore and then five more. I did manage to throw one out of the group.

I then moved the target back to 73/74 yards. Again taking my time I swabbed between shots in the same manner... I shot the high group of four shots... then to see if I could do it, I tried to sneak one down into the bull. That was the 12:00 low. The rifle is sighted in for 100 yards. So I am guessing these might be on their downward trajectory at this point and could be at their highest part of the curve. I really don't know that trajectory stuff other then I have to aim so high or low, depending on the distance. Although as I remember the 250 grain did not shoot that high.

As I was making a new bikini scope cover as the old one broke, I heard leaves rustling. Like a squirrel running around. I even went and looked around the front of the garage thinking someone was walking around out there.

I sat back down and finished the scope cover, and happened to look up..

19-DSCN0655_zpse0c25476.jpg

That is not my bow target. She's standing right in front of my spinner targets which are 40 yards away. I even had my range finder out there so I was shooting range findings on her.

32-DSCN0656-001_zps03365b20.jpg

She decided she was going to make it impossible for me to shoot, by blocking the shooting lane.

23-DSCN0659_zpsc1ba7c30.jpg

The doe then stood there, I was even talking to her, asking her to move, but she was hungry... She then stood to the right of the shooting lane, in the brush. I could see her ears, and her head going up and down. But she was not going to leave. So I sat and watched the deer for about 20 minutes. Finally she wandered into the poplar grove to the right, about 40 yards from the firing range.

So now totally astonished at the stupidity of this deer... I decided to call it a day. I got up, and walked to the 75 yard target. And then I saw the deer again. She was walking towards me. I was kind of shocked.

12-DSCN0679_zpse80170ad.jpg

I was fifteen feet at one time from this adult doe. I even talked to her. I called out to her in a soft voice... hey Momma. The shocking part is the deer looked at me and even walked closer. I hate to admit it, but it kind of spooked me. So being concerned I asked her... are you deaf, blind or just stupid. She stood there, looking at me. Not alarmed at all. Eating brush. I honestly think a neighbor has been feeding this deer at their home as she shows no sign of fear of humans. Which is a shame as it would make her easy pickings to poachers or hunters. I hope she stays close to the house where I can keep an eye on her. But she did upset my shooting. Strange was, the other day when I had deer come in on me, there was an adult doe, a doe fawn, and nub fawn... so I suspect either her kids were not with her (which I doubt) or this is an entirely different doe. But she is way to trusting of people.

That's a good shooting rifle.

Neat encounter with the doe. On the public ground I hunt, If I get close to a mature doe and she knows I'm there, it's nothing but white flag and high tailing it out of there.

I would have to rate my Black Diamond XR as one of if not the best shooting inline rifle I have. I always shoots good if you take the time to swab. And it loves Shockwaves. The technician from Thompson Center that I spoke to years ago told me it has the same barrel as the Omega. Mine is blued, and a plastic stock that free floats the barrel. But if you load it right, it will really stack them.

I personally think a neighbor is feeding deer. Deer as far as I can remember have never been this "Calm" around a person. Especially one shooting a gun. As I am tending to believe that the deer was in my side yard (unseen from the shooting bench) when I was shooting and that was the "squirrel sounds" I thought I heard.

:huh?:

Don't know if I should say, good shooting or cool pics of a doe :?: Either way, it was a good day in more ways then one :yeah:

Ray.......... :wink:

Nice story.

I shot in a trap league with 5 boxes and 2 skeet frames. The deer will often walk and feed at the down range part of the clearing while were shooting. They are so close you'd think they must be taking some hits but they get used to it and want to feed.

Had a similar experience a few years ago when i had to wait for a BIG 8 to finish his breakfast so i could continue my 200 yard work. After the 3rd shot he walked out at about 150 and blocked the target. Shortly after that a sign went up " No hunting on the ranges" At a different range last week, a suicidal woodchuck walked out and caught the last round of .270 WCF I'd brought with me. 75 yards. BAD career move...

Latest posts

Back