SST.... Bonded vs Non

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Question for those who have shot both the SST Mz and the Bonded SST...........

Anyone shot both and found a different POI between the two :?:

The target below is the reason I'm asking. Its pretty much known that the Whitetail Medicine bullet is a Hornady SST. Now rather its the bonded or not I have no clue and haven't asked. I decided to shoot 300yds this morning, as there was just about "0" wind and calm as heck. I knew it would warm up fast, so I started early.

I shot the 4 rounds which are where the tape is and those are KNOWN Whitetail Medicine bullets. Before making any scope adjustments, I shot 3 of the SST bullets I received from Luke awhile back.......... in the IDENTICAL H5045 LB sabot.

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE AND WHY THE DIFFERENCE????.............. (other than the bull :wink: )

What? No replies from some of you great shooters???

I took five bullets of each kind and weighed them and measured them. No difference there........... :huh?:

I don't know what to say: I have used the SST and the Shock Wave for years and in my Endeavor and my Triumph they are interchangeable tested many times, I switch to Bonded for hunting some times mostly during bear season.
I can not imagine if the sun angle and the wind were the same what happened. Did the gun heat up before the second group?

I have no clue and am stumped. It was so calm, it was a little annoying waiting for the smoke to clear, however that helped with waiting for the barrel to cool down. I shot one target and shot the second using the same methods, as I knew something wasn't right in Denmark after shooting the first.

I'm sending 10 of each bullet out on Monday and a fella is going to cut one of each, melt the lead out and measure the jacket thickness. He'll be weighing and measuring the remaining also. I really appreciate his offer! Maybe he'll come up with something.

My gut feeling........... Everyone has always believed that the Whitetail Medicine bullet was merely an SST with a different tip. That still may be the case too. However I believe T/C asked Hornady to make them a "BONDED" bullet. Could it be that the bullet is actually one of the T/C Shockwave Bonded bullets, just with a different color tip? Because these bullets are shot a higher velocities and for possible longer ranges, would the "common SST" even hold up without exploding into pieces?

We all know how expensive shooting, especially a lot of shooting, can be. Thus I'm trying to match up the bullets so I can purchase them in bulk, saving some money anyway.

I think the lesson here is that little things make a difference.

The two bullets may be shaped the same and weigh the same but are constructed differently. Now, it looks like we have a 2-3" POI change at 300 yards. For the vast majority of hunters ( myself included ) this would make no difference in performance. When you get to the level you're shooting they don't appear to be interchangeable.

A Michigan Whitetail won't know the difference.

I found that I need to update my 40 year old calipers and break down and buy a new digital set...........

Measuring last night, it appears that there's about .010" difference in the length of the copper jacket, from the base of the bullet to the front under the polymer tip. There's also a difference of .008" in overall length of the bullet, including the polymer tip. The largest variation is with the SST having the longer jacket, with the WM bullet remaining constant. The overall length of the WM bullet is consistently 1.070" where the SST varies from 1.078 to 1.080"

Everyone knows red tipped bullets are more accurate then white tipped bullets :D ... All kidding aside it still is a dead deer. Nice shooting

Just wondering , did ultimate say there was a break in period for that gun... You must have over 150 shots by now right.
Steve

sbuff said:
Everyone knows red tipped bullets are more accurate then white tipped bullets :D ... All kidding aside it still is a dead deer. Nice shooting

Just wondering , did ultimate say there was a break in period for that gun... You must have over 150 shots by now right.
Steve

There is no break-in period for the rifle, just the shooter. I have about of 400 rounds through it and am still getting acquainted with it.

UPDATE:

The Whitetail Medicine is NOT an SST bullet. The WM bullet is made by Hornady under contract, made to UF rifles specifications.

Sounds like the answer you was looking for. Wonder what the difference is?

ShawnT said:
Sounds like the answer you was looking for. Wonder what the difference is?

I just mailed 10 of each to a guy and he plans on cutting at least one of each, testing the jacket and lead. I sent 10 of each so he could measure them for averages. Hopefully know by next week.

Latest posts

Back