CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
2-DSCN0697_zpsdeb713f6.jpg

There has been some discussion on the forum about the CVA Optima and BlackHorn 209. I thought by shooting mine I could kill a couple birds with one stone per say.

I have read of popping several primers prior to shooting to "fake foul" the barrel so the first shot is not off so much. In the past I will report that the first shot was usually out of the group. But following what I read, I popped 4 CCI Shotshell Primers before even loading the rifle. The rifle was swabbed to clear it of any oils, or grunge that might have accumulated PRIOR to the shooting of the four primers. I used Rusty Duck Black Off and then two dry patches.

I set the target out at 52 yards according to the range finder. The CVA Optima I own is not the V2 model. Although it does have the quick release breech plug, a Black Horn 209 breech plug, and a Stainless Steel Barrel. It also sports a 3-9x40mm Cabela's Powderhorn scope. As some remember these came on sale for dirt cheap. I purchased a number of them. And have had excellent luck with them. Anyway ... 52 yards Also this rifle is sighted in at 5 yards with 26 grain Scorpions.

It was 78 degrees, windy (enough to blow the sabots off the table) wind moving left to right across the target. And VERY SUNNY. Almost a glare sunny. The load was 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 measured by volume in a see through measure. The dark blue sabots 40/50. And the 200 grain BLEMISHED Shockwaves. I purchased these Shockwaves knowing they were listed as Blemished.

1-DSCN0694_zps3f7d0b68.jpg

the first three shots... I can live with that. It looks like popping those four primers made a difference in the way the rifle shot. I will add, the CCI primers are FILTHY BEASTS. They really carbon up the joint. But if they caused that... give me filthy.

Since three shots don't tell me much. Or anyone wondering what kind of load the Optima might like... I shot off a total of seven shots at 52 yards. Then moved the target back to 94 yards for longer shooting.

3-DSCN0698_zps3a428c86.jpg

To say I was not pleased with that seven shot group would be a lie. The A at the bottom was because I had moved the target back (to save walking) and then shot one round at 94 yards.

5-DSCN0707_zps6e7a223a.jpg

A-D other then C was a good group. By this time I was all walked out with my bad knee. But C kind of surprised me. This is a guess, as I really felt I did everything right off the bench. These are blemished bullets. Could this have been caused by such a factor. Has anyone else that purchased these blemished shockwaves found similar results? The slight shift to the right I am guessing is wind. As I mentioned it was windy. Very windy at times. So A,B, and D made a good group. C boggles the mind.

Calling it a day I went in the house and started cleaning the rifle. The easy out breech plug held true. With just fingers, I spun that out of the rifle. It was a BEAR to clean. The CCI primers really fouled the thing.

6-DSCN0708_zps266742fd.jpg

I think cleaning that took the greatest amount of time. It was all Q-tips and solvent work. But we got that done. The barrel came clean in two patches of Hoppies #9 solvent. And Birchwood Casey Barricade finished the job.

Over all it was a good day. The rifle never had a misfire. And the accuracy was exceptional for me. This I would call a good deer hunting load if what I read about the 200 grain Shockwave is true.

Wow! That breech plug sure is allowing a ton of blowback. That has to affect your accuracy to some degree. Nice 52yd group.

I found that filling up an old pill bottle full of Hoppe's or Butch's Black Powder Shine, then dropping the breech plug into it while I clean the barrel and the rest of the rifle, makes cleaning the breech plug very easy...........

Wow. My CVA Optima Pistol Blackhorn plug has never looked like that. You need to adjust your headspace, by adjusting your firing pin bushing. CVA does offer a kit for this.

Wouldn't hurt to throw a metric o-ring in that primer pocket, she'll come out a LOT cleaner.

I have shot several deer with that 200 grain Shockwave. With 80 grains of Blackhorn 209 my Optima Pistol will shoot one hole groups at 50 yards with that bullet. Works great on deer too. I have shot that bullet with 80-100 grains of Black Mag'3, Triple Se7en, and Blackhorn 209. Furthest one ever went was 60 yards. All you need to do is punch it through the boiler room, it will do it's job.

Busta said:
Wow. My CVA Optima Pistol Blackhorn plug has never looked like that. You need to adjust your headspace, by adjusting your firing pin bushing. CVA does offer a kit for this.

Wouldn't hurt to throw a metric o-ring in that primer pocket, she'll come out a LOT cleaner.

I have shot several deer with that 200 grain Shockwave. With 80 grains of Blackhorn 209 my Optima Pistol will shoot one hole groups at 50 yards with that bullet. Works great on deer too. I have shot that bullet with 80-100 grains of Black Mag'3, Triple Se7en, and Blackhorn 209. Furthest one ever went was 60 yards. All you need to do is punch it through the boiler room, it will do it's job.

Thanks Busta. I have heard others talk about how that .40 caliber will knock down deer, but you're just putting the icing on the cake. Nice to know that if I do a say... heart lung shot, that they will not run too far.

Dave, the CCI primers I think measure about .295 and with the Win. 209 primers they run around .299 thru .302, that might cut down on the blow by and head space issue.

sqezer said:
Dave, the CCI primers I think measure about .295 and with the Win. 209 primers they run around .299 thru .302, that might cut down on the blow by and head space issue.

When I shot the Winchester W 209 in the past I had ignition problems. I was told they are too soft, not hot enough and that was the cause of ignition problems. I will give them a try again as I had to drive over 200 miles to get the STS and the CCI primers. All they sell in my area are the Winchester.

Another fine shooting rifle! :yeah:

I believe I read where you purchased the BH friendly plug for your rifle, were the ignition problems before or after the new plug?

I use the W209 primers because it totally eliminates blowback (BH plug) in my Apex where the CCI209 primers gave me some.

I shot my rifle in very cold temps last year with no problem.

Win209s work fine in the correct plug with the correct fit. Ive used many in my Savage plugs. If a Win209 will ignite those powders in the long Savage plug, i cant imagine why they wont work in the Western Powders BH209 plug with the proper headspace.

They are all i use in my Knights also with the true Lehigh plug. Ignition has been flawless. Its all about geometry and sealing.

Get the Western Powders BH209 plug from Ed's gunshop and the CVA shim kit. Your breach will stay clean and any loose powder will ignite well. IIRC the CVA BH209 plug has a slightly smaller flash channel than the Western Powders plug. The WP plug has a 5/32 flash channel IIRC.

You may be correct, but i think the flame channel in the Blackhorn plugs is 1/8", and it is very very short. They could have made a plug with a long 5/32" flame channel, but they didn't. A plug with a longer 5/32" flame channel would have been 100% reliable, and better for the shooter.

It is a myth that W209 primers don't work reliably igniting Blackhorn. It started back when the CVA plugs were failing to ignite Blackhorn; now that there are reliable CVA plugs available, the myth just won't die.

You are correct, Both plugs are cleaned using a #32 drill bit. I just got off the phone with Don at Western Powders.

If the flame channel is 1/8" why do they clean it with a # 32 drill? Me, i use 1/8" drill to clean 1/8" flame channel. Everybody i ever knew from Miles City was kinda weird i guess. Surely they didn't make the flame channel 3 mm, did they?

Latest posts

Back