Long Shooting @ the Dinger Farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Frustration had set in a bit today as the guys in Washington are hunting and I can not hunt here in Idaho until the rifle opener October 10!!!

So to help relieve the pressure I took the Super DISC and headed to Dinger's farm. I waited for the winds to die down so I headed out about 2:00pm. Did my normal thing setting up shop and placing clay pigeons out at 100, 125, and 150 yards. I set four birds at each range. I was going to try to get a picture of the setup but because of the and stubble in the field you could not see those bright orange birds very well at all. Through the scope it was no problem.

I shot my way through the 100 yard birds then Tom 'Dinger came down from the house and we started talking and shooting. I shot two of the 125 yard birds while Tom was watching and asked him if he wanted to take on the other two. He missed his first shot but the next were fatal for the birds. We then alternated on two of the 150 yards birds with no mishaps at all. I was going to be done after the 150's but the last shot Tom indicated that he had a 22-250 that he had just purchased from an estate sale and wanted to shoot it. Tom retrieved the rifle from the house and took on the last two 150 yard birds. The rifle was new to him and he was not sure where it would should so it did take him two shots to score the first bird. Once he figured out the sight picture the second bird was no problem at all.

Then we got to talking again and he wanted to try a couple of shots at 200 yards. So I gave him a couple of birds and to run out... He jumped on his motorcycle, rode out and placed a couple of birds at 200. Well when I ranged him with the range finder it turned out to 250 yards!

We had two shells left for the two birds... His first shot was high and left so I took the next shot using the suggested hold - got it... Well... there was one bird left - we both looked at each and hey! what the heck. So I loaded the DISC up. 120 grain T7-2f, MMP light tan sabot and a Lehigh/Bloodline 40x200 Brass DOA, ignited with a W209.

I got first shot and with ballistic reticule held the second fire line directly on the middle of the bird... Took the shot - Tom watching through the shooting scope called the shot - correct elevation but just to the right of the bird. I 'scared it' but did not hit it. Next Tom used my elevation line but held on the left edge of the bird, touched the shot off and I thought he missed just slightly right. I took the rifle and starting loading it up again for my shot - Tom looked through the spotting scope - NO! there is a hole in the center of the disk right where the center attaches to the outer ring. I really did not think so - he jumped on the cycle again rode it out to the bird and confirmed he 'HAD' hit the bird.

We talked about it a bit and I decided to move the scope 2 clicks left. Sat down and the bench using the same hold and blew up the bird... Dang that was fun

This is what it looked like from the bench...

With the camera on 16X this is Tom checking his 250 yard shot...

This is the competition rifles...

WOW!!! that is some long range excellent shooting. Even with a 9x setting that bird would look small at that distance. Very nice shooting there. Now that you pulled that off, would you shoot say a deer at that range with that load?

cayuga said:
WOW!!! that is some long range excellent shooting. Even with a 9x setting that bird would look small at that distance. Very nice shooting there. Now that you pulled that off, would you shoot say a deer at that range with that load?

No... I really do not think I would... I am sure I could hit it in the vital area that I needed to... provided everything was right but I would worry more about a humane harvest. At 250 yards the bullet has lost a lot of steam.

At 200 yards the odds are far better but still...

mike

I was just thinking that Ron was rubbing off on you! :lol: Actually it looks like it was a lot of Fun.

Great shooting and of course great rifles. That looks like an old Remington Varmint Special from the late 60's or 70's from the look of the stock. Those Varmint Specials were great rifles.

ShawnT said:
I was just thinking that Ron was rubbing off on you! :lol: Actually it looks like it was a lot of Fun.

Great shooting and of course great rifles. That looks like an old Remington Varmint Special from the late 60's or 70's from the look of the stock. Those Varmint Specials were great rifles.

That is exactly what it is! When he first brought it out I did not really realize what it was until I was shooting it. Then I spent some time really looking it over... It is a well built rifle...

sabotloader said:
ShawnT said:

That is exactly what it is! When he first brought it out I did not really realize what it was until I was shooting it. Then I spent some time really looking it over... It is a well built rifle...
I bought one in 22-250 in the early 80s and the stock was a little different. The Earlier models had a little fancier checkering with small Fleur de le's and a little more taper in the forearm and had the tapped holes about mid barrel for the Unertl Type scope blocks. I have yet to see one that did not shoot in any caliber. It was even rumored that some would outshoot the 40X of the time and others though the barrels were just smaller diameter 40X barrels. 250yds is usually an easy shot for that rifle (head shots with some practice). 8) Those Birds and a Ground hogs head are similar in size. 8) I had shot ground hogs with mine at paced 400 yards with only hand loads and no alterations to the factory rifle. Back when I got mine it was $400, if you can find one in new or like new condition now it will fetch up to triple that now in some calibers! :shock: I was looking for one in Triple Duce a few years ago and they were up around $1100 for one that was used but in like new condition. That one looks like it is in very nice condition so he got a great find there.

Man I wish Remington would make rifles like those again. Quality has slipped quite a bit from where those were. :(

Looks like you and Evil Kneivel had a great day! Very nice shooting & beautiful rifles.

Latest posts

Back