CVA Acurra range report #3

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuzzyBob

Reaction score
Got back to the range today before opening day tomarrow. I wanted to settle my mind and also try a diffrent bullet than what I sighted in with.

Accura v2 Remington muzzleloader 209 primers, White Hotz 100g Hornady XTP 250g. 1 spit patch and 1 dry swab between shots.

The bottom two shots were at 50yrd and the top two were taken at 100yrd. All done without adjusting the scope.
I like it!

097e7902e3d0becb9eb2e302f097329e_zps7ff539c2.jpg

That looks like it'll work. Out of curiosity, what is the diameter of the innermost circle?

David

It seems strange to me the lower shots were at 50 yard. With your load i would think the 50 yard shot would be 1" high, to impact zero at 100 yard. The higher shots should be at 50 yard, and the lower shots should be at 100 yard. If it were me getting ready to take the rifle hunting, i wouldn't be very happy with these results; i would be puzzled. For me, more shooting would be necessary.

MuzzyBob

Nice shooting that should really get the job done.

This ballistic sheet shows the possible ballistics using a 6" PBR (Point Blank Range)

In this case you can see the projectile is still gaining elevation to 100 yards. The PBR works well for me because I know I will never be more than 3" high or 3" low @ approximately 170+ yards.

MuzzyBob' rifle isn't sighted in for PBR. Using the exact same information used to produce the ballistic shown in sabotloader' post, the following result is calculated.

forumresponse.jpg

One sees the bullet should be 0.69" high at 50 yard, if it is impacting zero at 100 yard. For a 100 yard zero, the bullet is no longer rising beyond about 70 yard, and is dropping when it impacts at 100 yard. The 250g XTP bullet BC is 0.146, instead of 0.165, so it would need to be some higher at 50 yard than the Gold Dot. If the muzzle velocity is less than 1860 fps, the bullet would need to be higher at 50 yard than the calculation shows.

forumresponse2.jpg

Sorry guys, just so you understand this is range report number three. My rifle is sighted in with Hornady mono flex 250g. For kicks I wanted to see how far off shooting Hornady XTP 250g would be with out changing anything. I can live with the results for 100 yard and in shots with the XTP with ought having to resight the scope. The scope used is a Nikon inline XR 300 with BCD reticule. The grouping at both 50 and 100 is accurate enough for deer Imo using that bullet imo.

Of course it is. Here is hoping you have a fun hunt!

Now, just out of idle curiosity.. here is a calculation for how the XTP flies for a 200 yard zero.

forumresponse3.jpg

Just idle curiosity.

Back