T/C Impact and lead bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ep427

Reaction score
Wanting to shoot lead bullets like the Maxi-ball and No excuse bullets out of my T/C. Only getting marginal accuracy so far. Can Anyone here give me any clue as to what I need to try? Thanks

I can give you something to try.
Put in your powder, [ I usually start with 65 or 70 grains] push an over the powder wad to the bottom of the QLA fill with cornmeal put a wad on top the corn meal and push down to the powder then load the bullet. Works for me, the thory is that gas escaping around the QLA causes inaccuracy so you need to get the bullet out before the gas from the exploding powder gets to the QLA.

I shoot some lead similar to the no excuses. 460gr out of my omega 50 and find that it is charge sensitive so trying different powder amounts is important. I use a .030 veggie wad over the powder and mine likes 90-100grain of powder, got a noticeable change in accuracy at 90 grain from 80 grain that said yours may be totally different. Use some GOOD lube like SPG or DGL. I swab between every shot and try to shoot cold bore to simulate my hunting on a cold morning with a clean barrel. YMMV

Good Luck, If you get frustrated go to a proven load for awhile and come back to lead after a pause. Its a process getting where you want to be, small changes can show big results.

Let us know what you find that works for you.

:roll: TC rifles with the QLA are not designed to shoot conicals only sabots are going to give any consistent accuracy. TC won't advertise this, call them an ask to speak with a technician, if he's truthful he will say the same. Cut off the QLA then you are in business. :yeah:

toytruck said:
:roll: TC rifles with the QLA are not designed to shoot conicals only sabots are going to give any consistent accuracy. TC won't advertise this, call them an ask to speak with a technician, if he's truthful he will say the same. Cut off the QLA then you are in business. :yeah:

TC will tell you this when you call, because they'll know you have one that won't shoot conicals. All TC's aren't like that though. I had an Omega that shot conicals really good.

It's sill for TC to say it's not designed to shoot conicals. Just because it uses a QLA? A lot of companies use a QLA, and shoot conical just fine. What TC should say is they can't make a QLA for beans, but every now and then they get it right.

Lee 9 said:
I can give you something to try.
Put in your powder, [ I usually start with 65 or 70 grains] push an over the powder wad to the bottom of the QLA fill with cornmeal put a wad on top the corn meal and push down to the powder then load the bullet. Works for me, the thory is that gas escaping around the QLA causes inaccuracy so you need to get the bullet out before the gas from the exploding powder gets to the QLA.

First I've heard you mention this? Is this something new? Do we TC shooters just need to stock up on corn meal? Would Quaker Oats work also as a filler? Are you serious??????

Haha, the cornmeal (or several other cereal type grains) have been used for a long time by BP shooters. I dont hear of it as often in rifles as much as pistols. Its actually pretty common for BP revolver shooters, and not really so uncommon as a wad, or in wad combos in rifle. for several reasons. it burns clean, and adds volume to raise a shot column to a desired pre shot height, and works pretty well as a gas check. The traditional guys have been shoving all sorts of stuff down the bore for a long time. Some popular still, some used in emergency/survival situations situations, and some for long range and accuracy. leaves,bark, almost anything found in the woods has been used or tried. another popular wad is wasp nest.

.50 cal=1/2" bore, so pieces of 1/2" pipe are sharpened one end and used as a punch for wads. cardboard egg cartons, cereal boxes, (or any waxed cardboard) felt, you name it, are popular wads

I bought a knight MK85 to shoot lead as my T/C Black Diamond XR .50 cal doesn't shoot them to my liking( so far). The really odd thing, QLA and all, the Black Diamond shoots sinkers better than the Knight! Every rifle is like a woman. They each have their own tastes!

Omega45
I have used it for years in my Triumph and it works for me.

Although I have not had this problem myself, as I shoot saboted bullets in my T/C inlines, I have read on several different forums about T/C QLA. Some say that the QLA is off center from the bore by just enough to cause inaccuracy. Why this would affect full bore conicals, and not sabots, I do not know.

Back