Black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not fond of the tightness, but it's nice and even all the way down. Something CVA's aren't known for. It's funny too. I've only had two CVA barrels that were straight, and they were both Wolf's. Accura's and Optima's were all over the place. Go figure.

Since I can get the PT Gold and crush rib sabot down the bore. I'm thinking the Barnes T-EZ will be just right.

I use black powder in all 12 of my muzzleloaders but I have never used sabots. In my three inlines (two White's and Rem 700 ML) you can easily shoot and load exact bore size bullets three times without swabbing which is more than adequate for hunting.

The goal shouldn't be a fast(ish) 2nd shot. Try this experiment, fire a shot load the next without swabbing and wait 10 or 15 minutes and see if your point of impact is remotely similar to your zero. I have yet to have a muzzleloader do it except for my .577 caliber 1853 Enfield rifle musket repop shooting black powder and lubed Lyman 575213 old style minies. Swabbing between shots does a couple important things. first, it gives you a better chance of that 2nd round being as accurate as the first AND it gives you a chance to calm down and replay the shot in your head. Both are valuable. Additionally, you will be used to swabbing at the range and doing it in the field will be second nature to you. Its more than worth it to swab.

If I had a dollar for every patch i've run down a muzzy. I could buy a new Jeep.

Traditional muzzleloaders...........lots of swabbing, and no problem.

Modern muzzleloaders...........no need to swab. (BH)

Latest posts

Back