Black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ep427

Reaction score
Does anyone use real black powder for their inline? I can get a good deal on ordering black powder.

I shoot black powder a lot of times in my inline rifles. It works excellent. I use the 2f 90% of the time.

I did a lot. Im used to swabbing. Why not while your waiting for barrel cooldown anyway. and clean my guns after each use as a habit. I havent used much this year as Im almost to the bottom of a 5 lb BH jug. But Ive had good results in several inlines with several real black powders. (goex being the largest percentage, both 2 and 3f) Swiss is the hottest of the blacks, and very comparable to trip seven

Buffalo Arms is one supplier and their are other across the county. You can order from any of them, REMEMBER whether you order 1 can or a case of 25 you need to expect to pay an additional HAZ MAT shipping charge; use to be about $30. If you know someone or a few who might split a case might be helpful. 7000gr/lb divided by 100gr/shot yields 70 shots/lb.
I pick mine up at the NMLRA, but it's about $5/lb more than Dave at Buffalo Arms. It's just convenient for me.
There are many, a few like Goex, Wano Schuetzen, Swiss -good stuff (also hottest with hard fouling), Ol Endford is now out with some favorable results so far.
I have no problem shooting BP in my In-Lines, BP is all I shoot in ML. I also wipe between shots to keep bore/loading consistent.

I calculated the cost of shooting BP and lead bullet vs modern stuff a few years back and I'll see if I can find the data.

Shipping charge only if they ship it to your door.
If you have a supply locally, you're lucky.

used to shoot Triple 7 and while it is a fine powder I went back to black. Swiss 3f specifically.Unless shooting BH209, you should swab between shots anyway so swabbing is not an issue. Swiss gives me shot to shot velocity variations so low I cant match them with smokeless. They're generally in the 5-15 fps range. Its easily ignited and although its residue is corrosive, its far less so than Pyrodex. Go with black!

Hang on a minute guys. I'm not sure why guys think of just range shooting when talking about swabbing. That has never concerned me, because you have lots of time to do it, and it's much easier to do with everything layed out on a bench.

It's when hunting that swabbing becomes a pain. You never know when you might need a fast follow up shot. Fast being not really fast with a muzzy, but it's much faster without swabbing. Especially, if you use speed loaders. In an inline you more than likely will be using a tight fitting bullet. Whether it's a conical, or sabot. BP fouling in cold weather can really grab onto a bullet/sabot. I've had more than one setup I was using that could not be loaded without swabbing. No matter how much I pounded on it, or rammed the ramrod against a tree, and pushed into it.

So, I have a rule set for myself. No matter if i'm using a sidelock, or inline. I need to be able to load a second shot without swabbing, or having to screw anything on a ramrod to do it. I also have to be able to do it in very cold weather which seems to magnify loading on a fouled barrel.

Because you never know when you might need that 2nd shot.

Swiss is great and IMO the fouling is softer than Goex, performance is much better too. I had no problem loading 1-2 more shots with Swiss and conicals. Maybe its the lube that Bullshop and NoExcuses uses on their conicals or the lubed wool wads. I dont think i ever tried it with sabots.

The somewhat new Olde Eynsford BP is also supposed to be hotter than Goex with milder fouling. Reviews seem excellent.

Yes, the Olde Enysford has quite a bit more power than regular Goex. It was their goal to match the power of Swiss, and came very close. I'm not convinced it's a pure BP formula. I don't know how they matched Swiss, and only charge $1.00 more than Goex? It has a sharper recoil similar to T7. If someone handed me a loaded gun with Olde Enysford in it. I wouldn't guess it's BP, except for the smoke. As for it's fouling? It seems to grab a bullet pretty hard.

I could easily load a maxi, or NoExcuse for 5-6 shots with no swabbing in the Renegade, but those are loose fitting bullets. I tried a Powerbelt once, and almost got it stuck half way down on the 2nd shot.

I bought another Wolf, and all I had that would fit (tight bore) were PRB's. I couldn't get a 2nd shot loaded without swabbing. I got one stuck, and good thing it was an inline that I could remove the BP, and pound it back out.

So, with all this said. I won't use anything else in an inline than BH 209. Loading a 2nd shot is always as easy as the 1st shot. if for whatever reason I use another powder i'll swab each shot. Needed, or not.

Just my $.04.......

Most of the rifles (I am sure there must be one or two in my collection so I will not say all) I can get a second shot off using black powder if I had to, without swabbing. I know with most patched roundball rifles I can. It might be tough to load but I can pull it off. But this idea of a fast second shot... in all my years of hunting, I have loaded quickly a second round, whether needed or not, without swabbing.

Muley, where do you purchase that Olde Enysford? I would like to get ten pounds or so of it and really put it through the ringer. I sure like Swiss but refuse to pay that kind of money for black powder.

thanks I did a search and found it at Graf's. I was reading posts on another forum about the powder in black powder cartridge rifles. It was interesting. They compared it to KIK powder, which I used to shoot and liked a great deal.

I use Swiss 3F Black Powder and shoot Barnes 250gr and 300gr MZ bullets with the supplied black sabot in my Whites and have no problem shooting and loading 5 to 6 times before swabbing. I also use #11 caps, which is another reason I prefer black powder.

I don't have that option. My bore is really tight. I tried a PT Gold with the black CR sabot, and could barely get it down on a clean bore. My only choice now is to try the Barnes T-EZ which is what I want to use anyway. If it works the only way i'll get a second shot loaded without swabbing will be to use BH 209. Which is what I wanted to use too. So, i'm hoping all that works out.

Try an MMP Orange BUT use a .452 bullet instead of the .458. Those will be in the .499-.500 OD range. If it needs a sabot smaller than that, the barrel is out of spec.

Back