Not New Anymore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
What any parent would do for their kids. My teenage son asked if I sold my 45 (No) so he asked he could shoot it. He knows I have 3 more NIB.
So, we took the rifle out of the box and started to work TOGETHER! We walked thru all the stuff and answered questions along the way. First he wanted a Thumbhole stock, so I took it off one I had (basic black - he thought it looked great on his rifle better than mine???) We mounted the Leupold bases (showed him what Loctite was), Burris Signature Rings w/inserts (+0.020" rear, -0.020" front) went thru all that on how to get the MAX out of the scope elevation, mounted a Leupold AR 3-9x scope. Bore sighted to 'hopefully' get on at 50. I've done this before + also he will be able to go from 50-500 at Friendship with this set-up.

I had a BOD meeting tonight at the local range, so I took it along after work to get it sighted at least at 50.

First shot low at 50, then made one adjustment. Surprised that next 3 cut each other; put a mil in scope - shoot 3 at 100; doing better than expected put a target up at 200 and made elev adjustment, 1st shot right of bull - 0.2mil left windage adj, 2nd shot closer so another 0.2mil, 3rd hit bull, 2 more shots to make it 5- why not.
Packed up and went to the Board meeting.
Just cleaned the rifle and showed my son the first 12 shots out of his rifle. 200 yard target is 4" group includes 2 adj. last 3 shots 1.6".
As my old friend LT would say "that's a minute of deer"
He's looking forward to the weekend, I'm looking forward to hunting season..

Load: 85gr Swiss 2F, Wad, mold I modified to HP - 525gr GG HP - Pure lead
Targets below.

Attachments

• Knight NOS 45 1-20 SS First 12.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 347
  • Target range .jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 347
That's some fine shooting and a real good looking bullet too. Your son is blessed with both a fine setup and teacher :wink:

It looks like some fine shooting to me. And a great job there. Best of luck to you and your son this season.

In an effort to simplify this rifle for use and for my son. Just received a custom Leupold scope turret. 1 represents 100yds, 1.5 -150yards, etc..
Pretty easy, I told them my MOA at each distance or you can tell them your ballistics and they'll engrave a turret.
This is a MIL scope, new for me as I'm so used to MOA - but, I think it will work.

Attachments

• Leupold turret.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 169

Latest posts

Back