Pellets and conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ep427

Reaction score
I was reading on the hodgdon website and it says it is dangerous to shoot conicals with pellets without a wad. Has anyone here ever had a problem doing this? I had a friend give me a bunch of pellets and I have a bunch of conicals to shoot. Thanks

Something about the flash hole through the pellet. I don't really understand it.

I went to their web site. It sounds like they just want you to use a wad with conicals. More so for sidelocks.

INTENDED USE
Triple Seven and Pyrodex Pellets are designed for use only in newly manufactured muzzleloading, in-line rifles of 50 caliber, 54 caliber, and 45 caliber. Use Triple Seven only in a 209 primer ignition system. Pyrodex may be used with standard cap, musket cap or 209 primer ignition systems. Use only the correct caliber Pellet designated for the given caliber rifle. They are designed to be used with saboted bullets or conicals together with a fiber wad. Any other use of the Pellets is not recommended. Triple Seven Pellets are not for use in cartridges, or with patched round ball. Pyrodex Pellets may be used in cartridges.
Pistol Pellets are designed and intended for use only in newly manufactured modern replica 44 and 45 caliber cap and ball revolvers. They may also be used in 45 caliber in-line rifles. Any other use of the Pistol Pellet is not recommended.

MISUSE WARNING
Use of Triple Seven Pellets and Pyrodex Pellets in sidelock muzzleloading rifles, in flintlock muzzleloading rifles, using a patched round ball, or the use of conical lead bullets without a fiber wad is NOT recommended. Due to variations in the size and type of flash channels of such rifles, as well as different rifle bore diameters, and conical bullet sizes, hangfires (a delayed ignition of the Pellet) or an improper gas seal of the projectile may occur. These conditions could cause the projectile or a burning Pellet to exit the barrel in a hazardous manner, which could cause personal injury or death to the user or bystander, as well as damage to the firearm.

Many conical bullets, to be accurate need to start fast. A wad under them creates more pressure at the ignition of the pellets and gives the conical a platform to hold the gasses under them. There by creating more uniform pressure and better down range accuracy. That's how it was explained to me. Personally, I don't like to shoot most conicals with two pellets worth of powder. Poor accuracy. With conicals I like them around 80 grains. But try them. You can make your own wads if you have a 9/16th hollow hole punch or even a 1/2 hole punch will work. Get some cardboard from a milk carton. That works good. Or if you make them out of regular cardboard, like a cereal box use two of them.

Back