Old Ensford vs Swiss

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Continuing with my son from the "Not New Anymore" post. This time I wanted to try some Old Ensford 2F black powder. Same powder charge and bullet as the first test with the new rifle. Since I stopped the other night at 200, I told my son we would not change anything on the scope and try a new powder at 200 and see the difference.
I shot 4, he shot 4 total 8 shots. I wouldn't say the group from either one of us was better than the other night, I was surprised that the group was 3 inches higher than with the Swiss 2F.
I didn't have a chronograph, but based on my load on a ballistics program it seems it was at least 200fps faster! 1350-1550fps

Attachments

• Old Ensford 200.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 217
Swiss uses a different measurement on the granules. 2f is closer to 3F compared to Goex. It used to be anyway.

Since you have both powders. Check that out.

That is good shooting. How was the two in fouling compared? And clean up?

I run a light spit patch down between each shot, have for 25 years. I reverse the cotton patch and down/up. It actually felt like the 'crud' ring at the chamber was harder to remove than Swiss.
Since I wipe, final cleanup is usually 2-3 patches with breech plug removed.

Due to different barrel whip and recoil times I would check with a chronograph to see which was faster. Sometimes you get a surprise when you check.

It's been my experance that slower moving bullets tend to print higher due to longer bullet in barrel time reacting to recoil.

Latest posts

Back