Elk loads for CVA Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTProf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just purchased a CVA Wolf SS, and am wondering what everyone who owns one is shooting for loads. I am planning on hunting elk in CO, so no sabots or pellets. What powder and Bullets would you recommend? I have also ordered a Buckhorn 209 Breechplug for it.

I think you mean a Blackhorn breach plug. Sorry to be a stickler but there is a ML called a Buckhorn,

Since its for Colorado, you may want to look at Thor bullets. Get a sample pack for sizing first then order the size you need.

https://thorbullets.com/

img_01.jpg

There is a bullet called Thor that makes a copper conical that shoot well out of most fast twist rifles. I would look into that. Go with a good powder charge like 90 grains and a heavy Thor and you should plant an elk. You can also try some No Excuses Conical bullets and see if they shoot well. And of course there are powerbelts. BUT unless you're going to shoot a big heavy one, I would stay away from the lighter, common made ones.

I don't want to be negative about Thor bullets, but i've used them enough to form an opinion. I won't use them anymore.

Especially, with Bh 209 the Thor bullet needs to be a perfect fit. It's an unforgiving bullet when it comes to fit. A little loose, and you'll get poor accuracy with BH, because BH needs a bullet to fit tight. Too tight with a Thor, and you won't get it down the bore. I can't count how many i've got stuck in a bore when trying to load them. Just .001 will make a difference between too tight, and too loose.

Even if you get a perfect fit with the sample sizing kit. The bullets aren't sized close enough to always give you that perfect fit. You need to size them yourself to get them all the same.

The last problem is very annoying. He always runs out of them. I think Barnes makes one run a year for him, and when he sells them all he's out for the rest of the year.

Good performing bullet when everything is right. Just too much trouble for me. I cured the problem by using the muzzleloader in rifle seasons. Now I can use any bullet. If I had to hunt the muzzy season i'd look into the new Federal bullet.

Just my .02. You don't have to agree.

I would prefer to see the OP use a Bullshop or NoExcuses conical but those big boolits may not be pleasant in a light weight Wolf. They dont bother me that much when loaded with moderate charges.

Of course you could always get an adjustable sizing die and shoot nearly any 500S&W or 50A&E bullet your heart desires without sabots. You may even get lucky and find some 50cal handgun bullets that fit without sizing.

I still have a bunch of NoExcuses left over from my Renegade. I thought about trying them in the Wolf, but resisted. :D

I agree with Muley on some of the frustrations with Thor. They either load to hard or to easy most of the time. The fact that he's alway's out stinks too. They're kinda pricey as well. Aside from those complaints they seem to be a great bullet and it's what I'm using now for western big game hunting including elk.

I've never been able to get the No Excuses bullets to group in my gun after several attempts. Might be different in yours? They are worth some consideration. The new Federal looks interesting but not sure you can even get any yet? Another one a lot of guy's out west are using is the Hornady FPB.

I'm not a big fan of powerbelts but some guy's are. I've killed both Elk and Mule Deer with them so I know they work. I also watched a big bull fall last month to a 295gr. aerotip powerbelt. 100 yd broadside shot, it went maybe 50 yds. and plopped over dead. Good luck in your search. Plenty of options to try listed in this thread.

Yeah, a 460gr+ bullet in a 6.5lb rifle is not most peoples cup of tea. Bullshop does make some lighter ones. They list a 400gr and i think Sabotloader had Dan make him some even lighter. IMO though you dont want to go too light. You loose the benefit of length needed for adequate penetration on larger game. Its not as big a problem until you start including soft lead which will flatten easily.

Thanks so much, everyone. This is extremely helpful. Yes, I did mean a Blackhorn (not Buckhorn) breech plug.

The Thors I shot were with 777 2f and they show wonderful. That was out of my Genesis. In fact I kind of felt like leaning towards them as the Genesis load until I shot 200 grain .40 caliber Shockwaves.

Back