Primer alternative for use wwith BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8shooter48

Reaction score
I know BH209 recommends CCI209M and Fed209M but they are pretty much not available around here. Is this a problem all over or just here in WNY. I have a bottle of BH209 ready to put through my Encore 209x50 but looking for a good alternative primer something hot enough for consistant ignition.What are you guys using that works?

Thanks

Ive had excellent luck with regular Win209s but those were in Knights bare primer plug. If your Encore plug is similar to an Omega plug a Win209 may work fine if they are not too long for your action.

I've been using the Winchester W209 in my Omega with BH209. Works good for me, no problems. Might be worth a try?

Remington STS if you can find them. I have shot it with Winchester w209 but did have ignition issues in my Optima.

I'm glad to see all the positives of using Win 209. That works out well I'm a skeet shooter and reload I have a little over 4000 Win 209's sitting in the cabinet. To be on the safe side I'll keep an eye on the breech plug and won't let the carbon build up.

Thanks

W209 primers work good igniting Blackhorn powder down to about -15 in TC rifles, and Knight rifles. The W209 primers also work down to about -15 in CVA rifles with modified breech plugs. W209 primers may work in these rifles at temperatures below -15, but i wouldn't know. By -15, i mean the rifles have been left loaded overnight outside in the cold, and fired instantaneously, and accurately, upon pulling the trigger. STS primers also work good, but they are short, so they may not make a good seal, unless provisions are made.

It is a myth, that magnum primers are needed to ignite Blackhorn powder.

I have 2 Encores and have never used anything but win 209 in one I tried the Rem SST in the other and it worked ok but carbon up more. You can use all full strength reloading 209 in your encore. When you burn out your first BP then you might consider drilling it out with a #21 drill and tapping it and putting in a vent liner at 5 dollars they are much better priced than BP and they last longer.

Hey Lee,

Another option is to send the breech plug to PR Bullet, and have him machine it to utilize large rifle magnum primers. The rifle primers will never burn out the flash hole, so one will never have to drill and tap for a vent liner.

I have thought about that Ron. Don't you have to use some kind of cartridge case to hold the Large rifle primer? If so that makes them illegal here for MZ season.

Its not a cartridge or case per se. Its a module with a 22 Hornet rim dimension but that is where the similarity ends.

lr_variflame_adapters.jpg

tc_lr_VariFlame_kit.jpg

In reality a 209 primer is nothing more than a "module" for a primer similar in size to a rifle primer.

0.175" (4.45 mm) diameter small pistol primers, and a thicker or stronger metal cup small rifle version for use with higher pressure loadings in weapons with heavy firing pin impact.
0.209" (5.31 mm) diameter primers for shotgun shells and modern inline muzzleloaders, using a Boxer-type primer factory-assembled inside a tapered, flanged brass cup.
0.210" (5.33 mm) diameter large rifle primers, and a thinner or softer metal cup large pistol version for use with lower pressure loadings in weapons with light firing pin impact. Large rifle primers are also 0.008" taller than large pistol primers

I believe that may be a possibility , here in AR they define a muzzleloader as a gun that is loaded from the muzzle and can not chamber any cartridge case. I think they are being a bit weird about it but I do not care to break the law but that's not a cartridge case by any stretch.

Latest posts

Back