Redemption range test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideone

Reaction score
Went out behind the shed to do some initial shooting of the Redemption.

I broke down and purchased a Leupold VXR for her.

I initially cleaned the barrel with a scrubbing of rubbing alcohol with brush and swabbing. I did not really clean the breach insert, as it seemed ok. Found out it had oil in it and my first shot was a hang fire of sorts.

First two on the left were after just visual looking down barrel and scope for rough guess. Next three were 25 yard shots after adjustment

Three shots at 50 yards. Ok I guess.

Three shots at 100. Oh oh. Vertical stringing? Or me? Probably gun as son shot several more after this and it continued to shot high.

Dirtier ones were earlier on and the cleaner looking ones were the last three.

My initial reactions to the gun. Have to really get down on the gun. I thought the generous eye relief on the Leupold would help but I have to almost stretch to get a good visual. May have to make some changes. The trigger is crisp but not light by any means. Cleanup is a bit awkward with the gun tilted, and will probably just take it all apart next time. Don't know yet. I obviously have a great deal of range time left. I bought the SST's cheap to get some rough target shooting in, but will be hunting with Barnes TEZ 250's with supplied sabot or Harvestor Black Crush ribbed. Will have to shoot them to know. I want to be able to shoot effectively to 200 yds with this gun. Need help and practice.

The breech insert was a pain in the rear to get all the crusted residue out of the indentation. What do you guys use to soak the breach plug in? I saw a post by in the newbie section about water and soap. Using Blackhorn obviously and do not know if this would work. Thoughts?

The SST's loaded very easy after the first shot. No QLA but no problems at least for the SST's.

I have been black powder hunting for over 20 years, but feel like a newbie with this gun and would welcome any advice. My shooting skills aren't great and it always amazes me how well you all shoot.

Mark

I have been soaking my breech plugs in Hoppes #9 for 20-30 minutes before cleaning and the fouling comes right off.

I have that for cleaning and also Montana Extreme for cleaning Blackhorn. Do you simply blow out the breach plug with compressed air or use alcohol as an additional drying agent, then blow out?

I blow it out with my air compressor and then take a 1/8" drill bit and remove the fouling from the channel. Then I will soak it in Hoppes and then take Q tips and a pipe cleaner to it. The Hoppes helps take all fouling off the threads (if there is any) and also from the primer pocket.

That is how I did it with my Omega. The breach inserts on these guns do not afford the ability to use a drill bit because they are not breach plugs in the normal sense. I always worried that Hoppe's left in the breach plug may cause some premature fouling. Wrong apparently and appreciate the input.

Some very nice shooting there. I know very little about your rifle. Other then the redesigned breech plug system. It looks like a nice rifle.

I do like the looks and balance of the rifle very much. Will post more reports as I learn to shoot her well.

Lately, for breech plug cleaning, I have been using a 1-1-1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and murphy's oil soap. I mix it in a small jar, drop the BP in and let it soak for 10-20 minutes. Unless the fouling is exceptionally bad, I can usually get away with rags and Q-tips for cleaning. After an extended range day, sometimes ill still need to use the drill bits, But the foaming action of the peroxide goes a long way. Its been working pretty well for me. After one use, the mixture is usually black and thickened. I just toss it, rinse the jar and redo next time

Not a bad start! I like the looks of the walnut vs composite on those guns. You should look at getting some offset rings so you can bring the scope back, nothing worse than feeling you have to inch closer and closer to get a clean sight picture. I'll look fwd to seeing more reports as you progress along :)

I like the sound of that mixture and will try that for this breech insert. I never have tried offset rings but the configuration of this gun would allow that. Will check on those thanks.

Hard to tell from the pics, you may have a little room to slide back still. Not sure how much you need.

I have offset rings on one of my CF rifles, it was the only way I could get my scope to set in the right spot. Works perfectly now! :D I think they are Leupold or Millet rings, can't remember off hand. Most companies make them, though I'm not sure about availability on a weaver style setup (which looks like what you have). You may need to change the bases too.

It is a Weaver style base that came mounted on the gun. Those are Leupold rings. I need a little to feel comfortable and a little more to feel great. I will check into those rings and let you know how it feels. Can always take em back right! Thanks

Bob W. from Friendship who won the In-Line AGG Nationals this past fall had one for a few years. He shot it a lot from 50-500 and did his best with a lead bullet 390gr and Swiss 2F. Initially, we really liked the design of the exterior threaded breech. Also, the o-ring on the plug - seemed like the length of the plug was long, but probably needed to be in order to get past the OD threaded portion and have all the pressure into the meat of the barrel. The o-ring certainly keeps things clean.
For me personally, I don't care for the look of the gun - but Bob had his shooting well.
He's on Facebook under 'in line muzzle loader nation' if you want to pick his brain. I think he's on Dougs message board as well.
Your certainly off to a good start.

I will check that out. Thanks for the input. I was not taken by the looks initially, but has grown on me. She likes pretty things like the Leupold and like all good girls i intend to get her some new rings, for my sight issues due to pull length. I have a certain buck that would be a good first deer for her. :D

I'm really glad this post got started. I know the looks of this rifle are different and not everyone's cup of tea, but I handled one in a local gun shop this past year and there was just something about it that said, "this could be a winner". It looked really well made too. Looking forward to more posts!

Extension rings to fit the weaver bases shouldn't be hard to find.

Latest posts

Back