Barrel cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringtalker

Reaction score
How often should i clean my barrel for plastic fouling, and what is the best cleaner for plastic fouling, thanks

My last two Encores had over 4,000 rounds down the barrels. They shot the same with round 10 as round 4,000 and with only normal cleaning. Sabots aren't like they were in the olden days.......

Like stated above, plastic of today is not as bad as years past. I clean mine occasionally with Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber 2-in-1 Bore Cleaner, just as a precaution. Don't get it near camo finishes.

stringtalker said:
How often should i clean my barrel for plastic fouling, and what is the best cleaner for plastic fouling, thanks

The new generation of Polymer that both MMP and Harvester (and both are slightly different) uses is a lot different than the older formulations. There is very to any plastic fouling in the bore these days.

This something I posted awhile back for me today cleaning the bore is really simple... I use three products...

It somewhat depends on which powder you might be shooting... especially when it comes to all the other subs and BH-209.

Regular blue Windex, IMO, is an excellent product for all subs. The small amount of Ammonia contained in Windex is an excellent metal stripper and as it evaporates it carries water with it. It is perfect for neutralizing the harmful aspects of powder residue.

Anyway I wrote this several weeks ago it might help you a little bit...

Every once in awhile I get asked 'how I clean the bore' - well today while cleaning the ULite I thought I would take the opportunity to show what I am doing.

Nothing 'earth shaking' but certainly easy and quick for me... And yet I know others probably have a method that is just as easy for them. This is just something that works for me and I have gotten pretty good at it...

One thing I fail to mention in the picture - The 'Weasel' has been lightly oiled with Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner - a very little bit of it goes a very long way...

I would also suggest do not use a bore oil in your bore that is a 'petroleum' product. Do not use a product in the bore that has 'Teflon' in the oil product. I would suggest using a 'good' synthetic bore oil like Montana X-Treme, Slip 2000, Eezox, or a number of other synthetic products

After this ready to go shoot again or store in the safe...

Powerbelt will tell you sabots will build up plastic in the bore, but they're just trying to sell Powerbelts.

Latest posts

Back