Redemption test #2+

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideone

Reaction score
Met the oldest son at the lake for the weekend.
Spent the morning doing what I love. Passed a decent 140ish buck hoping for the big ones to start moving.

Jack wanted to pheasant hunt on opening day, but too hot and too many crops still in.

Spent the afternoon shooting many guns at range, AR's, minis, Glock, Rugers, Baretta, you name it. Also shot the Redemption some and used up the rest of the SST's. After scope adjustments, it was pretty good at 100 yds.

Grilled marinated deer and enjoyed the evening.

Back home on Sunday for more serious Redemption shooting and switched to Barnes 250EZ and Harvester crushed rib blacks. This is a representative target at 100 yds.

If you look at this group you will see what the gun was doing when warm vs "cold". First shot was nearest bull. Second and third were up and up. Let barrel cool for 20 minutes or so while I played with Jack. Next was right next to first shot and next shot was high again with little cooling time. It was hot out, like 82 degrees hot. Will post some more info and questions in bit.

When I finished my first range session I tried to thoroughly clean the gun with Montana Extreme for BH and oiled with Birchwood Casey gun oil. Well when I used rubbing alcohol to remove the oil prior to shooting a lot of brown colored swaps came out and some with a little black on them. Really concerning or maybe the original oil from the gun was finally coming out. What do you think. Also, I was wrong about the breech insert, you can use a drill bit and torch tip cleaner not that different than a "normal" breech plug. It really wasn't hard to clean at all after soaking in Hoppe's #9 for 20 minutes or so.

Questions:
1. Gun cleaning issues on new gun.
2. Heat related vertical stringing with barrel not fully cooled. I will be hunting December muzzleloading here in Nebraska so heat is really never an issue.
3. Change in point of impact when (if it ever) gets cold out. Guess just have to burn some more powder to find out.

Now that the crops are going out I can set my target to 200 hopefully, that will be next challenge.

I truly believe this gun shoots way better than the shooter (not saying much there) and like it a lot.
Also, getting used to the pull length and may or may not switch rings to move the scope back.
Mark

Not being sure what might be going on, I would get some Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber. I would first remove the barrel and spray a good blast of that through the barrel. Then I would run a brush through the bore a few times. After that, with a TIGHT fitting patch saturated with Bore Scrubber I would swab the bore with a couple patches. Then start running dry patches through it. That should remove any grease or oils from any prior cleanings. If you want to shoot now, go shoot. Otherwise, spray a patch with Barricade and swab the bore well.

Before you shoot next time, swab the bore with isopropyl alcohol. Then a couple dry patches. Then push a patch to the bottom of the bore and fire off a 209 primer. You need to blow out the breech plug and fire channel. I like to pop a couple more 209 primers and then go shooting.

Thanks. I will pick up some BC Bore Scrubber and clean that bore up good. Do you think the barrel could actually be staying warm enough between shots to shoot high, or more likely human error or something else?

Vertical stringing can sometimes be improved with powder charge. +/-. Not sure of your charge, but + is not always better. Also, recoil onto the shooters shoulder can give you up/down as well.

52 Bore is right on there. I have shot charges where we drew a line almost. And simply add or sometimes subtract even 5 grains and it seems to calm down. Also if a barrel is heating up because your shooting fast, that can cause stringing and fliers.

Is the barrel to frame when closed TIGHT and "0" movement? If the barrel moves up and down, even the SLIGHTEST, that movement can cause the issue. Although well known by break open CF shooters, most muzzleloaders don't recognize the issue. Not saying its the issue, just providing the information.

Always used the 110 gr by vol BH in the Omega i will drop to 105 so see results. By the way, i found BC bore scrubber (finally) in my little town. Came in a three pack with BC Gun Scrubber and BC Barricade. Should i use Barricade after Scrubber given my current configuration? Really need input because i have not used these products. Thanks

Encoresoa i had read your previous post regarding 2 gunss locally that were far from tight. i checked that when i received this gun at it appears to my limited expertice to be very tight. Having said that i will monitor. i seem to have consistent dead on cold barrel and rising warm barrel results. Appreciate the input.

Oops reread your post Cayuga and will use Barricade also. Really appreciate your sage advice (read all your posts here and on my original site i watched Hunting.Net)

Back