Traditions Vortek NW Mag Breech Plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdogg

Reaction score
I just picked up a Vortek NW Mag found a sweet deal on it not knowing it used musket caps, I know on other muzzle loaders you can change out the breech plug or nipple to shoots 209 primers, does anyone know can you do that with the Vortek NW or did the make it so you cant change it because its meant for a specific region? Im in the Midwest so would prefer to use 209 and because I can find them anywhere where the musket caps are a bit harder to find. Thanks

bigdogg said:
I just picked up a Vortek NW Mag found a sweet deal on it not knowing it used musket caps,

Unfortunately that is the only way they come with a Musket nipple. I have been told that the nipple is not changeable.

I know on other muzzle loaders you can change out the breech plug or nipple to shoots 209 primers, does anyone know can you do that with the Vortek NW

I believe you can change the breech plug and the hammer assembly back to 209 ignition system if you choose to do so.

or did the make it so you cant change it because its meant for a specific region?
It was built for the PacNorWest where we are required to shoot percussion caps during ML season.

Im in the Midwest so would prefer to use 209 and because I can find them anywhere where the musket caps are a bit harder to find. Thanks

If you have not shot that rifle perhaps you can exchange it for the one you need, barring that call Traditions and see what you need to move back to 209 ignition. Because the rifle is a NW rifle the barrel has notches in to allow the cap to be exposed, these will remain even when you install a 209 ignition system

I am neither a Traditions or CVA user so I am not really giving your first hand information. Keep that in mind.

CVA has a Northwest Kit to convert a regular gun to the Northwest version. So, it should be able to go the other way too.

Ok looks like its musket caps only, my question now is they require special musket caps correct like the RWS ones, or the ones that are flared out not the precision caps that you can buy at any store correct?

bigdogg said:
Ok looks like its musket caps only, my question now is they require special musket caps correct like the RWS ones, or the ones that are flared out not the precision caps that you can buy at any store correct?
Correct. It should say musket cap in the box, and they have the flanged tabs on them. #11 Caps are smaller, technically both are Percussion ignition. Shoot 777 or Pyrodex if you keep with the caps. BH209 is not designed for percussion rifles. You should not feel hamstrung by shooting 777 or Pyrodex RS as both are very good powders. Just remember to clean and lube the rifle after shooting.

I know several guys that shoot the RWS musket caps in their guns (vs #11's) and they are pretty darn good. I wouldn't be a bit concerned about using them... assuming that is the route you go.

I talked with traditions for a bit today very helpful and they said musket caps are the only one to use and suggest RWS after a lot of calling and looking around I believe I found a local source, cabelas, ganders, feet farm and a couple others were all no.

Back