Paper patch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ep427

Reaction score
Can you paper patch a 50 cal. bullet and shoot it out of a 52 cal. muzzleloader?

You sure can if you get the correct paper thickness. I've patched thousands of 45's using 9# paper = 0.002" x 2 wraps = 0.008" on a 0.442" naked bullet. This is what the British were doing in the 1860's. Use them in my original Rigby Match rifle. I had an original 50 sporting rifle w/1:20 twist that I made a mold for, but it never shot as good as my 45 in competition. For hunting, it was a wicked HP. I actually used it in an Encore with very good results on deer as well as targets.
Do some quick research as patching is not hard once you've done it a while. I can patch a box of 50 right at 15 minutes. Shorter bullets and smaller diameters are hard to hold and wrap. Unless you're short patching (another topic) make the paper 1/2" longer than your bullet to give you a 'pig-tail' to twist, then I just cut it off with scissors at the base.
With a 50 to 52, you may need to find thicker paper, like 16# or so. Go to Office Max or somewhere with a Micrometer and start measuring!
Keep in mind you can also get away with 3 wraps if needed.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the response. I'm only asking because I found a really good deal on a Knight .52 cal. And the only bullets I can find are the Knight bullets.

ep427 said:
Thanks for the response. I'm only asking because I found a really good deal on a Knight .52 cal. And the only bullets I can find are the Knight bullets.

I have a .52 and find no short supply of .458 diameter bullets. There are many, many fine options from all the manufactures.

You need to by the sabots from Knight but I picked up a couple of hundred at ken time. I, quite confident that if knight ever went under, MMP or Harvester would step up with a supply.

There are a ton of bullets that are .515 so if you used 9# onion skin they should work. I have been wanting to try a 52 for that reason. I have been having a lot of luck with the Lee 500 S&W bullet in my 50's and the RCBS 11mm rifle bullet in my 45's. Ron

Latest posts

Back