Lyman Mustang muzzleloader ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapfrog

Reaction score
I got this rifle a long time ago and the last time I shot it I got a nice buck with
the 300 gr sabots and goex powder..My guestion for you is..What other bullets
do you thinkk will work as well in this rifle ? I would appreciate any replies..
Thanks so much.The season is fast aproaching here in NY state.. :wall:

:D

WELCOME ABOARD :!: :!: :!: Glad you joined the group :!:

Ray.......... :yeah:

John, my Mustang gives me about the same "hunting accuracy" groups (i.e. 3" five shot groups at 100 yards) with either 250 grain or 300 grain Speer Deep Curls, or 250 grain or 300 grain Hornady XTPs over charges of 95 grains GOEX FFFg. I also get good groups with the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains conical and charges of 70 grains GOEX.

I haven't tried the 240 grain/.429 XTP's, but suspect they would shoot pretty well also. I did try some 200 grain .40 caliber bullets in 50/40 sabots with unacceptable results.

Welcome.

I assume it's a 1/28. If so, most of the bullet / sabot combos should get the job done.

I like 300 grain bullets. Nothing wrong with a 300 grain XTP in a harvester sabot for an economical load to practice and hunt with.

:drinkers: THI
Code:
NK i AM GOING
From now on all my deer hunting is with the muzzle loader...I was wonder how
the plain lead bullets would work in this here musket.....Or are the sabots
that much more better to use....Also where can I get another ram rod made
up that is a little longer,to use for loading and cleaning as well..... :huh?:

:huh?: I just found a cva 50 cal rod with a palm saver and a
added extention to use as a range rod..Do you think it will work with my
lyman mustang rifle? thanks :poke:

Lead conical bullets work excellent. But so does a good sabot/pistol bullet. The XTPs are hard to beat. But it is going to depend on what your rifle likes to shoot. I shoot lead conicals that weigh 460 grains. What they hit, they hurt. I also shoot 200 grain Shockwaves that are very accurate and everyone I talked to tells me they are an excellent deer bullet. So its a matter of what you want to shoot and what your rifle wants to shoot.

As for a ramrod... Google Cain's Outdoors Supply Store and then when you enter their site look up Super Rods. They come in all lengths, get one a little longer then the rifle as long as the end is not in front of the barrel they are fine. Also most attachments in my area are 10/32 jags so make sure the end is what you have. There is 8/32 also. Other then they can get a little dirty. The super rod looks good and you can't break one.

Back