Primer Bulge?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried the CCI 209M primers in a CVA Optima V2 with BH 209 and BH plug but the center of the primer would bulge out so bad that you couldn't open the rifle without pecking the barrel pretty stiff. I tried a couple and they all did it. It completely stopped doing it when I switched to Win209 primers with the same load. Has anyone else ever seen them do that? Any idea what would cause it?

The CCI primer is shorter then the Win 209. That's what is causing the problem. The firing pin is not resetting correctly due to the headspacing. If you really want to use CCI then order a shim kit from CVA or Carlos at Eds Gun Shop and shim the firing pin bushing out a few thousandths. You could also order a pack of metric o rings and place one in the primer pocket which will solve the problem. If you have the Western Powders BH209 plug it comes with o rings, the CVA BH209 plug does not. If the Win's are working then just use them.

I had the same issue with an Encore Bergara barrel years ago.

I think Win 209s are a little tougher in the primer cup area.

Rem STS's will push out on me when shooting stiff loads in my Knights. Win 209s generally will not buldge.

The CCI209M doesn't have any blow by and comes out clean but the center of the primer will actually bulge out so bad that it imprints the on the face of the firing pin bushing. It fills in the slot in the bushing and it makes it shave a little metal off the middle of the primer when you open the breech. I will just use the Win209 primers since they are working fine and also coming out clean. I have just never seen the center of a primer bulge out like that till I tried the CCI209M and didn't know if it was common with them or if I might have got some defective primers.

Hardwoodmaterials said:
The CCI209M doesn't have any blow by and comes out clean but the center of the primer will actually bulge out so bad that it imprints the on the face of the firing pin bushing. It fills in the slot in the bushing and it makes it shave a little metal off the middle of the primer when you open the breech. I will just use the Win209 primers since they are working fine and also coming out clean. I have just never seen the center of a primer bulge out like that till I tried the CCI209M and didn't know if it was common with them or if I might have got some defective primers.
That is pretty common with a Primer Headspace problem. The CCI is shorter than the Win209 so when you fire the softer center blows back and causes the cup to seat in the plug (primer expands lengthwise). If it was an older Knight it will or can happen and cause the primers to stick in the bolt. The easiest way past it was to re-cock the bolt and re-fire so the firing pin pushed the center of the primer back into the primer cup. That might make yours easier to open up too, but Like mentioned you just need to get the CVA Shim kit. You probably will not see any ignition problems with the Win 209 though, since it is longer it is correcting the headspace issue. Some just like the added heat of the Mag primers in the cold, but it is not always needed. Just depends on what plug you have.

Latest posts

Back