Federal 50 caliber Copper Muzzleloading Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
P1040034.JPG

P1040040.JPG

This morning these 270g copper bullet were given a try. The rifle was the Omega Dream Season with a 4X scope mounted. The bullets loaded very easily. The first on a squeaky clean cold barrel, the next two on the lightly fouled cool barrel loaded about the same. One of the bullets was retrieved from a hole in the hill side behind the target. It weighs about 256g, with perhaps some dirt embedded. There was a swirly light breeze. Then a move was made to 200 yard. Up there on the ridge top, the wind was more pronounced with the vector coming from the right and behind. The elevation was dialed up 6 moa, and the first shot hit the paper some low and left. The second shot was taken in a stiffer breeze, and didn't hit the paper. The targets blew off the cardboard, so i came home.

P1040035.JPG

The bullets come in handy 5 shot clips, which one can carry in one's pocket whilst hunting.

P1040037.JPG

They look to be pretty accurate. I hope performance on game also lives up to standards.

That sure is an interesting looking bullet. Expansion kinda looks like a Barnes.

I assume the sabot thing at the bottom is slightly wider than the bullet?

8)
Those bullets are pretty accurate. Are you using them this season to hunt with :?:

Ray........... :yeah:

How did they load in your Omega? I'm still looking for a combination that doesn't need to be pounded into my Encore.

If you read the first post you will see i wrote these bullets loaded very easily.. :wink: They load easier than XTP, and Deep Curl do in a crush rib sabot.

hawgslayer said:
8)
...Are you using them this season to hunt with :?:

Ray........... :yeah:

That is certainly something to consider. Won't have much time to get the X7 sighted in with these bullets.. These bullets weigh 270g with the plastic paraphernalia attached, and are 50 caliber, so they won't have the Sectional Density of a 45 caliber 300g Deep Curl, and perhaps won't fly as well. This year my tag is good only out on the prairie, and the X7 is currently sighted in using the 300g Deep Curl. The 300g Deep Curl fly real good; perhaps these Federal fly as good, but i don't know they do..

WV Hunter said:
....I assume the sabot thing at the bottom is slightly wider than the bullet?

The bullet measures 0.496" at the widest. The plastic measures 0.503" at the widest, which is the tan chingadero at the bottom.

ronlaughlin said:
If you read the first post you will see i wrote these bullets loaded very easily.. :wink: They load easier than XTP, and Deep Curl do in a crush rib sabot.

Sorry I probably just slipped my mind, focusing more on the pictures than the actual post. Thanks for the answer again. XTP's and crush ribs are pretty tough in my Encore. I bought a pack of Barnes Spitfire T-EZ. They load about the same as the XTP. If I can get my hands on the Federals I'll give them a try. I'll check out Cabelas this week end.

ronlaughlin said:
WV Hunter said:
....I assume the sabot thing at the bottom is slightly wider than the bullet?

The bullet measures 0.496" at the widest. The plastic measures 0.503" at the widest, which is the tan chingadero at the bottom.

Nice shooting Ron. I read on the bullet's website that the tan hoober doober on the bottom is supposed to scrape fouling as you load it. Kinda reminds me of that sabot Doc White made with the copper scraper on the bottom. You need to whack something with those be it jugs or critters. :yeah:

Where can these be purchased? Do they/will they make them heavier that 270 gr.?

I would think they would do better with a bit more diameter of the copper. I've seen very few bores in modern .50 cal rifles that are under .500, with most being a bit over.

I am curious how they will shoot out of guns with the QLA, like the Encore. They seem to shoot pretty well, at least at 93 yards. Does your Encore shoot conicals pretty well, or is your QLA off center?

Also, will you be posting pictures of your sisters jugs? :)

Have never shot a conical from this rifle before. There are some maxi-hunter bullets on the shelf, which could be tried. If time allows, we will see if they work as well as these Federal bullets. Sister has been out of town, and is shy, but maybe we will be able to get a photograph.

I would like to try them but at .40 cents more each than I can buy prepackaged Barnes bullets here locally I will have to pass. I bet the "on the shelf" price will come down closer to Barnes prices after they get plenty of them out there.

Latest posts

Back