Older Knight. Disc elite45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burntmuch

Reaction score
Howdy. New to this site, spend most of my time over at GBO. Just bought me an older knight disc elite 45 cal .like a two didget #The gun is camo SS & in near perfect condition . It was the last thing in the world I needed. All ready have a omega X7 that I love. But wanted to try the 45 . Looks like a lot of guys switch out the breach plug so u don't have to use the red disc. Maybe next year, I'm a bit broke. Looking to shoot 180-200 grain bullets. Prob XTPs. I've got a bunch of .357 180 grains. But also looking at .40 200 grain gold dots. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Jay

Burntmuch said:
Howdy. New to this site, spend most of my time over at GBO. Just bought me an older knight disc elite 45 cal .like a two didget #The gun is camo SS & in near perfect condition . It was the last thing in the world I needed. All ready have a omega X7 that I love. But wanted to try the 45 . Looks like a lot of guys switch out the breach plug so u don't have to use the red disc. Maybe next year, I'm a bit broke. Looking to shoot 180-200 grain bullets. Prob XTPs. I've got a bunch of .357 180 grains. But also looking at .40 200 grain gold dots. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Jay

What you really need to know - is this an original DISC 45 or is it a DISC Extreme. If it is an original DISC using Orange plastic jackets and it has that low of a serial number it is probably a 1-20 twist. If it is a DISC Extreme using Red plastic jackets it is a 1-30 twist.

I think you will find that Speer Gold Dots are 40x180 and they shoot very well from either DISC. Sierra does make a 40x200 grain bullet.

You can shoot the 357's from your 45 but you will need to find the sabot. MMP makes one for it.

DISC Elite is a 1-30 for sure unless you somehow got a prototype which is HIGHLY unlikely. Ive only heard a rumor they exist.

The .357 180gr will be hard to stabilize in a 1-30. Its very unlikely you will be happy with them. The MMP 45x357 sabot is also a bit short for that bullet. MMP makes a longer 45x357 sabot for Precision Rifle. Its really tight with a .357. A .355 fits MUCH better. The PR 357 Dead Centers MIGHT shoot ok for you if you really want to try a 45x357.

Speer does not offer a 40-200gr GoldDot. Both Nosler and Hornady do offer a 40-200gr HP. The Hornady 40-200gr SST does well also with full power hunting loads. The Lehigh/Bloodline 185gr and Barnes 195gr are the premium bullets for the 45s in 1-30. Precision Rifle sells some lead poly tipped 40cals too ranging from 215gr-260gr. I would stick to weights 240gr and under in a 1-30 just to keep things easier.

Congrats on a low serial Elite. Ive got #203 and i had one just over #1000 before also. The Elite 45 is a fantastic rifle and a pleasure to shoot.

Awesome that's the info I'm looking for. So is it red or orange discs?. I went to the reloading room & found some .40 Xtps ,I think 180s . Wow can't remember, getting old !!. I paid $200 for this, I was gonna haggle a bit, but like I said the gun is in very very good condition. So did I get a descent deal?

Burntmuch said:
Awesome that's the info I'm looking for. So is it red or orange discs?. I went to the reloading room & found some .40 Xtps ,I think 180s . Wow can't remember, getting old !!. I paid $200 for this, I was gonna haggle a bit, but like I said the gun is in very very good condition. So did I get a descent deal?

Red Disc for the Elite.

I suggest about 90 grains of powder for the 180 XTPs. I also favor the Harvester Smooth Blue Sabots in my Elite.

You will like it very we'll I believe.

I would strongly recommend the Knight bare 209 primer conversion.

90gr and the 180gr bullets is a good fun load

90g-100gr and the 200gr XTP or Nosler is a "ok hunting load. You dont want to push either of these bullets too fast. They work ok for mid range loads and shoot great.

100-110gr and a 200gr SST is a little better. They fly better and penetrate better than the XTP or Noslers.

100-110gr+ and a Barnes 195gr or Bloodline 185gr would be the premium bullet choices. You cant push these bullets too fast.

I preferred the MMP tan sabots but the barrel was in the .451 range. My older Elite is .452. In tighter bores i would look at the Harvester light blue smooth sabot. Both my Super DISC 45 and my Pacnor 45 are roughly .450 and the Harvester sabot is a much better choice.

I to have a disc elite 45 cal I have found that my rifle does not like the tan mmp sabot
I was getting 1-2 in at 100 with a 200 grain sst and 195 gr barnes.
I switch to haverster light blue sabot and was getting sub moa at 100 gloverleaf every time
With 100 grain of loose t777.

The bare primer conversion is an excellent upgrade, made my 45 Elite completely blowback free.

The 200gr 40 cal. SSTs paired with a Harvester smooth blue sabot pushed by 120gr of BlackHorn 209 powder shoot excellent out on my Elite. My hunting load is a 195gr Barnes Expander with the blue sabot and 120gr BH209, shoots almost as well as the SSTs.

I took the breech plug out to clean. There was some light surface rust on the plug, but the bore was spotless. Not a bit of pitting. Now I have to decide whether I'm gonna take the leupold off the Omega X7 for this gun, or just put the elite away for this year. Kinda anxious to shoot this thing. Could somebody send me a pic or a link to the conversion kit I would need for this.

http://www.knightrifles.com/product/bar ... rsion-kit/

M900044-209-conversion-breech-plug-300x300.jpg

Ok just ordered the bare primer conversion from Knight. Now I just gotta get some BH209' . Oh yeah what kinda capper works best on this breech plug?

Burntmuch said:
Ok just ordered the bare primer conversion from Knight. Now I just gotta get some BH209' . Oh yeah what kinda capper works best on this breech plug?

You really do not need a capper the primer just drops in the spot in the primer adapter - then close the bolt to seat the primer in the BP open the bolt and pull back to extract the primer...

Here is a picture of the primer adapter and a NFPJ breech plug

May have to let this one go. Just snatched up a Slufoot converted H&R 45/70 barrel over on GBO. Gonna wait till I get the bare primer conversion kit from Knight, then decide. Dang it so many guns so little money or time

If you do decide to let it go... PM me. I would be interested. I am looking for another. Thanks!

Heads up its going into the classifieds. OOPs Disregard I just seen the minimum post rule. Thats Fair enough. Its like Im being told to just keep it.

Back