Black powder ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callman

Reaction score
I know the topic has some scratching their head but I`ve shot pedersoli`s at waterfowl now for probably 15 years and have run thru all the powders prodex, pioneer, 777 My dad came down to go hunting and said a friend of his was down sizing and he plopped down 2 cans of blk pwdr. I`ve always shot substitutes.
One of these cans is a blk can about the size of a big coffee can the 3lb size or so al it says on it is Dupont FFG has a threaded cap on it about the size of a silver dollar. I take it this is real blk powder or would it be a substitute ???
The other can is a FFFFg super fine black rifle powder it`s a 16 ounce can and is also un opened on the side of the can it says GOEX INC superfine made at the same plant since 1912 Net wt 16 oz. (454 GR.) This can is white on the front and back sides and red on the true sides of the can. Is this real blk pwdr also and is this stuff so old I should be hesitant in opening it and using it or is it old enough to be collector type stuff ???

The age of the powder would not bother me. But I would study those cans in great detail and make sure it was black powder before loading any of it. The Goex being fffg is primer powder for flintlocks. This is not commonly used when loading the main charge.

The Dupont, while yes they made black powder and FFg is a rifle powder, I would think somewhere on the can it would say black powder. Another give away is, the age of the cans. They'ere old time cans and I never seen a Dupont powder can. Again the powder is probably good. BUT unless I was 100% positive it was real black powder, I don't know if I would shoot it.

Yep! I agree, age does not matter with black powder. It does not degrade if it hasn't been wet.

DO NOT use the FFFFg powder in a rifle or shotgun. It's a priming powder for flintlocks only and would create dangerous pressures if used as the main charge.

Real black powder is fairly easy to identify. Put a teaspoon full on the ground and drop in a match. If it goes poof all at once with a cloud of smoke, it's black powder. If it burns progressively and fiercely, it's something else.

I would not hesitate to use old black powder. Whatever you do, keep those cans. They are collectors items and worth a few bucks.

Latest posts

Back