Bought anotrher old MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a older MK-85 with set screw in side for hammer today for $100.00, barrel on inside is almost perfect except for 1 small pit about 3 in from top of barrel and a tiny spot further down... has thumbhole stock that is in decent shape but has a bit of paint flaking off, might redo it in black truck bedliner spray and then camo it or I might have it dipped... the bad thing is the breechplug is froze in it tight as a drum, have some kroil penetrating oil soaking on it now will let it soak all weekend then try it.. if that doesnt work I will do what I did on a LK-93 and take it to welding shop and have them did a extension to the breechplug and use 3/8 impact to back it out, worked like a charm on the LK.
Will post picks once I get it up and running so to speak..

Take some boiling water and set the barrel in it for 5 minutes. I mean real hot boiling water! Be careful handling the barrel when you take it out, it will be hot. This usually frees up any frozen breechplugs I have ever had.

When mine got stuck in my MK85 we took a small butane pencil size torch and heated it up a bit. I had buggered up the slots bad enough they were real loose on the tool to the point it would not stay in the slots , used a ease out in the nipple hole, broke the first one that was small 1/4 inch, drilled out the broken part a tad bigger, went to the next size up ease out and the heat, and it came right out easy. Ruined the breech plug doing this, no threads left for nipple. Just did the swap to 209 with a kit from Knight after that. We tried the break free oil several times over a few weeks but it stayed stuck. It no longer goes into the safe with breech plug in now.

Back