tc pro hunter fx opions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaconda44

Reaction score
who owns a pro hunter fx that can give me there options on the gun.
accuracy or issues/problems with it. what are the loads that have worked good for you
I seen a few posts on how hard the breech plug is to get out.? have you had any issues with that.

thanks
I would be grateful
for any help/advise as I am thinking of buying one

Welcome to the forum
I own a Pro Hunter FX
here is my setup
3X9X50 Nikon scope
2 - triple seven pellets
T/C shock wave 250gr non bonded
win 209 primers

there is a thread on here about the Win primers being longer than others and sometimes the hammer will not pull back. I took each primer and closed the gun to "seat" them and now they work.
I get 1st shot flyers out of a clean barrel. after the barrel is fouled, i am getting 1 1/2" group at 100 yards.
I am sure that if I played around with powder and bullet combos I could get a better group, but since I rarely shoot over 125 yards, an 1 1/2" is a dead deer.
I am not having any issues with the breech plug, after cleaning, i put a little rem oil on it. (I do carry a small screw driver with me just in case i cant get it open in the field)
I made a cleaning rack to hold the gun during cleaning so the scope wouldn't get bumped.
Overall: love it
I hunt mostly out of tree stands and the overall length make it very maneuverable
I tried to post a picture of the cleaning rack, but for some reason cant get it posted.

anaconda44 said:
who owns a pro hunter fx that can give me there options on the gun.
accuracy or issues/problems with it. what are the loads that have worked good for you
I seen a few posts on how hard the breech plug is to get out.? have you had any issues with that.

thanks
I would be grateful
for any help/advise as I am thinking of buying one
I have a Endeavor which is the same as a Prohunter in fact I have two one is a 45 with a Bergara barrel.
I will assume you are discussing the 50 with a TC barrel.
I like to work on mine so I have Bellm trigger kit with all mating surfaces honed trigger pull is 2.4 pounds I also put steel washers between the forearm and the barrel so that pressure in different places does not affect the group I put a +2 pin in it . It shoots quite well with a number of loads One of the best is the Shock Waves I use the bonded for hunting and the regular for target work they shoot the same in my gun it likes the 200 and the 250grain the best. I usually shoot 120 grains by volume with a U-view measure as that groups well I use Blackhorn 209 powder for all my inline 777 did not work well for me. The other bullets that have shot a minute of angle are the 250 grain Deep Curl the 200 grain 50/40 the Lehigh 200 50/40 and 250 grain the 200grain 50/40 SST and 250 grain. All the 250 grains are 45 caliber the 50 /40 is 50 caliber sabot and a 40 caliber bullet. I live in AR and it is a bit warmer here that some places and the Harvester sabot works best if you live in the North you may want to try the MMP I find the short Black Harvester works best for me. But when I lived in the North I used the MMP as it is softer in the cold when it is over 90 in the shade it is to soft and affects accuracy Where as the Harvester works best in the heat and gets to hard much below freezing.
PS I use Win 209 reloading primers in all my inlines never had a problem they are a bit longer seals the blowback.

Bought my FX last year, currently using BH209 90 gr, hornady sst 300 gr, CCI primers, 3-9 Konus scope. Groups are 2" at 100yds. Not outstanding but is a deer killer. Have not had time to get out to experiment with heavier loads yet, tend to start with low powder and work my way up. So far 300 gr seems to be better accuracy. Will work up loads and see whats up. Want to use some Barnes but unable to find any in bulk here in MI. Blackhorn 209 Rocks!! Don't let anyone talk you out of it!!!

P.S. Did do my own trigger job, (using Bellm protocol) turned out great! As far as breech plug removal goes, I have had ZERO problems.

DUH, one more fact I did not mention, 300 SST with MMP 3 petal. Anything else loads too hard. From my research, TC's are historically tight barrels and with this gun it seems to be right on.

thanks guys for all the great info I don't know if I ask or not but is the barrel to frame fit good
also would it be a good idea to use quick detachable scope mount to make it easy to clean.
also is it hard to clean the action of the gun. or does it stay pretty clean with low or no blowback into the frame.?
thanks

If you use Blackhorn and Hoppes Elite cleaner then you do not need to use a detachable scope or tear the gun down all the time I only clean like that about every 3 months as long as I am not getting any blow back. I use Win 209 reloading primers as they are long enough to seal good in my guns.

lptroll said:
P.S. Did do my own trigger job, (using Bellm protocol) turned out great! As far as breech plug removal goes, I have had ZERO problems.

could you tell me what rigger or spring kit you used.?

also what is a good 209 capper to use there are so many of them.

I bought some of these bullets to try in mine. sold by night and the had them in a discount bin along with other stuff I think
they re not carrying them anymore. bought packs for 15.00 a piece here is a link to the type of bullets I bought
I was thinking of trying some harvester bullets also . any suggestions.?

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?cont ... tle=Knight Muzzleloading Polymer Tip Bullets 50 Cal 250gr 18 Pack

The #3, I replaced the sear spring the locking spring but thought the hammer spring was plenty strong. I also honed the mating surfaces. The trigger pull is 2.5 # and very smooth and crisp.

can someone tell me what height scope rings I need for the fx.? med or high.
I ordered the leupold 3x9 ultimate slam scope for it.
thanks

medium I have medium height with ultimate slam and have room even outside lens caps. It might almost work with lows without caps, not real sure there. (DMZ 1 piece)

lptroll said:
Bought my FX last year, currently using BH209 90 gr, hornady sst 300 gr, CCI primers, 3-9 Konus scope. Groups are 2" at 100yds. Not outstanding but is a deer killer. Have not had time to get out to experiment with heavier loads yet, tend to start with low powder and work my way up. So far 300 gr seems to be better accuracy. Will work up loads and see whats up. Want to use some Barnes but unable to find any in bulk here in MI. Blackhorn 209 Rocks!! Don't let anyone talk you out of it!!!
is the 90 grains by volume or weigh
thanks

volume, I also used the Bellm no 3 spring. Started with no 2 but no 3 got the trigger where I wanted it.

bestill said:
Buy a cva accura . Great shooter with factory adjustable trigger.

I had shoot the accura as a madder of fact. I had shot three of them within the last 3 weeks a thumb hole stock one and regular stock, and the mr
yes they do have a nice trigger. but I got the prohunter. not a good as trigger for sure but they all had more side to side slop in the action when open
and they didn't shoot any better than the prohunter.

Latest posts

Back