WHY I SHOOT THE LEHIGH SUBSONIC

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK

Reaction score
Here's an incredible bullet made by Lehigh Defense for the 45-70 in .458 diameter. these are 1 1/8" long & shoot great from my Accura MR with 110gr (by volume) of Bh209. These are quite literally a "do all" bullet. Watch & see - Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmpFcIhPY34

Re: WHY I SHOOT THE LEHUGH SUBSONIC

Wow that was impressive.

Lehigh makes some phenomenal bullets! I think they are having a 10% off sale this next week too. I don't think anyone matches Dave's quality control!

That's just awesome!! How do these compare to the Bloodlines they manufacture for Knight? I'm shooting the 185's from my Elite 45 with 115 gr. BH209. I have yet to take a deer with them, however this year it is sidelined since it is not sighted in for deer anymore.

They are built basically the same way & of course by the same company. The difference being that these bullets have larger saw cuts & break off into four larger petals instead of six also helping it to operate properly down to 800ft/s. The tolerances & quality requirements of all Lehigh built bullets is second to none!

Remington's copper solid shotgun slugs were manufactured the same way when they originally hit the market and they were devastating. Cutting production costs of course was more important than terminal performance to Big Green so the subsequent reincarnations of the slug got worse and worse until I stopped using them all together. For years we tracked down the old slugs until we couldn't find them anymore.

Critter said:
Remington's copper solid shotgun slugs were manufactured the same way when they originally hit the market and they were devastating. Cutting production costs of course was more important than terminal performance to Big Green so the subsequent reincarnations of the slug got worse and worse until I stopped using them all together. For years we tracked down the old slugs until we couldn't find them anymore.

It's sad that "Big Green" isn't the same company it once was

I love these bullets! I recently retired the remington genesis do to inconsistent grouping after 4 years of effort, and bought a knight bighorn. I bought a box of .458 275 bloodlines. First 3 shots with 110 gr. of T7 2ff at 100 yards was inside of 1". I didn't think I was capable of shooting like that. I got my first shot on a small 8 point with them opening weekend in MI. I spent a couple hours creeping through a corn field looking for a beaded deer. When it started to get dark I left the corn and headed to my truck. As I approached the last corner in the fence row I paused and scanned the big open field, suddenly 8 deer darted out from the neighbors corn into the field I was watching, I found the biggest deer (not knowing it was a buck because it was almost dark) and settled the cross hairs at center mass and fired. I watched the black silhouette run about 50 yard and it appeared to be nose diving. I lost sight of the deer from there because now it was dark. I walked to where the deer was when I shot it and ranged back to my shooting spot and it was 150 yards. I headed in the direction that I last saw the deer go in the open field , and it wasn't long before I saw the black mass laying on the ground. The buck ran about 80 yards and piled up. Looking at my shot placement, I was surprised that this killed the deer. I hit the right front leg just above the elbow and behind the bone. The bullet then skimmed the brisket of the deer and passed through the other leg in about the same place. Upon autopsy, I found that 2 pedal from the bullet entered the deers chest and punctured the heart. Without the fracturing pedals I may have lost that deer. I'm A believer. Ive now also have been practicing longer shots at the range, because these bullets do drop more that the old spear tips that I used to shoot.

Are these subsonics even available to the public? I didn't see them on the website.

chaded said:
Are these subsonics even available to the public? I didn't see them on the website.

yes they are available

.458 Controlled Fracturing 300gr Subsonic Bullet
SKU: 02458300LP
Rating: Not Rated Yet
$32.00

Just do a google search for lehigh 458 300 grain subsonic, scroll down to the second link & click on it. It's the most direct way to find them, but of you go to their site & search under controlled fracture rifle bullets you will find them there

wood2662 said:
I love these bullets! I recently retired the remington genesis do to inconsistent grouping after 4 years of effort, and bought a knight bighorn. I bought a box of .458 275 bloodlines. First 3 shots with 110 gr. of T7 2ff at 100 yards was inside of 1". I didn't think I was capable of shooting like that. I got my first shot on a small 8 point with them opening weekend in MI. I spent a couple hours creeping through a corn field looking for a beaded deer. When it started to get dark I left the corn and headed to my truck. As I approached the last corner in the fence row I paused and scanned the big open field, suddenly 8 deer darted out from the neighbors corn into the field I was watching, I found the biggest deer (not knowing it was a buck because it was almost dark) and settled the cross hairs at center mass and fired. I watched the black silhouette run about 50 yard and it appeared to be nose diving. I lost sight of the deer from there because now it was dark. I walked to where the deer was when I shot it and ranged back to my shooting spot and it was 150 yards. I headed in the direction that I last saw the deer go in the open field , and it wasn't long before I saw the black mass laying on the ground. The buck ran about 80 yards and piled up. Looking at my shot placement, I was surprised that this killed the deer. I hit the right front leg just above the elbow and behind the bone. The bullet then skimmed the brisket of the deer and passed through the other leg in about the same place. Upon autopsy, I found that 2 pedal from the bullet entered the deers chest and punctured the heart. Without the fracturing pedals I may have lost that deer. I'm A believer. Ive now also have been practicing longer shots at the range, because these bullets do drop more that the old spear tips that I used to shoot.

I'm very glad that these bullets by design were able to make your hunt successful & not cause you to lose a beautiful game animal. The bullets are expensive, but when we hunt we owe it to our game to harvest them a cleanly & humanely as possible.

The 458 Subsonic is a bit different than the Bloodlines. It will open & operate properly down to 800ft/s while the Bloodlines typically need a little more horsepower. The nose of the SS is saw cut into 4 larger petals & there is a very visible air gap between the petals. this facilitates opening at lower velocities.

In any case using a Lehigh product can & does make the difference.

Good luck & keep smoking, Greg

GregK said:
chaded said:

yes they are available

.458 Controlled Fracturing 300gr Subsonic Bullet
SKU: 02458300LP
Rating: Not Rated Yet
$32.00

Just do a google search for lehigh 458 300 grain subsonic, scroll down to the second link & click on it. It's the most direct way to find them, but of you go to their site & search under controlled fracture rifle bullets you will find them there

Thanks. Pretty pricy, especially since I can get Barnes about a dollar per bullet cheaper. I might give them a try though someday.

wood2662 said:
What type of tip is used to load the 458 SS?

No special loading jag is required as there is no polymer tip, Greg

Latest posts

Back