New 45cal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ep427

Reaction score
Who makes a in inline rifle in 45 today? I would really like to have one.

Knight sells a 1-30 twist45 in mountaineer. Down side is very limited sabot bullet selection. You my consider finding a Remington700ml and have it rebarreled with1-20 twist your bullet options are very good and high b.c.

MMP sabots work great with just about any.400 bullet you put in them, LEIGH BULLETS< XTP BULLETS< HORNADY BULLETS< and with the little DARK BLUE SABOT that shoots the little .355-.357 bullets, the 9mm bullets fit inside these DARK BLUE SABOTS are great for plinking hell they might be good for shooting YOTS also.

get a NEF with a .45-70 barrel (or TC or CVA, etc) and have it breech plugged/worked to Muzzleloader, smokeless capable, still shoots black and subs. cheapest route.

I think you can still get a .45 cal in the CVA Apex. They used to offer it in some of the other models, but unless you find a NOS, the Apex is it.

I have a 1:30 twist Knight Elite, Knight D.I.S.C. 1:20, White M-98 Elite 1:20, and prefer the 1:20 twist.

Another option if you want a fast twist 1:20 .45 caliber tip-up, you can buy one with a .45-70 barrel and have a breech plug installed in it. I did this a few years back. I shoot Blackhorn 209 in mine, but it is capable of shooting alternative powders as well.

Bergara makes a 45 barrel for several guns I bought one for my encore [ its a real good shooter]

I'd have to vote Knight, older Elite or Extreme in excellent condition or a shiny new model.

For bullets there's the 200 grn SST, 195 grain Barnes, and the 200 grn Hornady XTP. I like the light blue crush rib sabot from Harvester with any of the above bullets, for ideal barrel fit.

After a few intro shots go right to 110 grains(volume) of Blackhorn 209, 2200+ FPS.

Used 45 would be the way to go to save some money, I picked up an Elite this past summer and it's a very good shooter, consistently gives me this at 100 yds
200grSSTHarvestersmoothbluesabot-Copy_zps84f643b9.jpg

I also have an Apex, it's well made, but hard to find a used one in 45 cal.

The new Mountaineer would be nice but $$$

BuckDoeHunter said:
Used 45 would be the way to go to save some money, I picked up an Elite this past summer and it's a very good shooter, consistently gives me this at 100 yds
200grSSTHarvestersmoothbluesabot-Copy_zps84f643b9.jpg

I also have an Apex, it's well made, but hard to find a used one in 45 cal.

The new Mountaineer would be nice but $$$

Gotta like that! :yeah:

What load you shooting?

Target load of 120gr volume BH209, knurled 200gr SST in Harvester light blue sabot, W209 primer

Hunting load is same except bullet is knurled 195gr Barnes Expander, they shoot about 1" lower

muskrat30 said:
I'd have to vote Knight, older Elite or Extreme in excellent condition or a shiny new model.

For bullets there's the 200 grn SST, 195 grain Barnes, and the 200 grn Hornady XTP. I like the light blue crush rib sabot from Harvester with any of the above bullets, for ideal barrel fit.

After a few intro shots go right to 110 grains(volume) of Blackhorn 209, 2200+ FPS.
I also like the Lehigh because of its added penetration I consider it better for bigger game than deer. Mine shoots best with 120 grains of Blackhorn and the standard Harvester sabot.

I do have an APEX with a 22-250 barrel, 7mm-08 .50, .45, 45-70 1-20 Slufoot Smokeless Conversion, the only thing I have found with the forearms they are so flimsy you need to fill in the forearm with JB WELD to give it some backbone. The .45 & 45-70 are still unfired.

ep427 said:
Who makes a in inline rifle in 45 today? I would really like to have one.
Another option is buy a 45/70 apex send to Hankins custom rifle for breech conversion. This thing with blackhorn and 300sst is a shooter.

I'll second the Hankins conversion. Awesome ignition system but a bit pricey. The last I knew Jeff was a few months behind on his conversions but worth the wait if you have time.

For a bit more than Jeff's H.I.S. you should be able to find a Knight Disc Elite in 45 caliber with the Lehigh conversion for $400. There are like new SS models out there in the $400 price range. I was looking at one the other day that included the Lehigh breech plug plus the original Knight breech plug, he was firm at $400 and I'm sure he will get it. It looked new but it was said to have less than 20 rounds fired through it.

I have a 45 caliber TC that was bought at 3rd generation.If they still have some of those left,jump on it.

toytruck said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=458334975
Here is a White, .451 you won't find a .45 today that will shoot like these .45 caliber rifles, sabots or especially conicals. Better hurry tho...

Hurry indeed! :yeah:

Back