Ramrod help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When shooting the other day the end of my ramrod pulled out while swabbing between shots. Its the older style factory aluminum Knight ramrod.

What is the best way to securely fasten it back in? I have several ideas, but figured I'd see if others had experience here.

I roughed up the inside of the rod and then the tip, then degreased and used Gorilla glue (don't forget the water :wink: ) and then took a punch and put a new dimple in it. :yeah:

I repaired mine by using Bohning Ferr-L-Tite Hot Melt that I use to assemble aluminum arrows. I bought the rifle used and the ram rod was in rough shape. I decided to buy a spare one from Knight for $16.

I have struggled with ramrod issues myself. Bent the hell out of my original knight ramrod, bought a cheap aluminum replacement and that is now looking a bit squirrelly and doesn't fit in the gun well. Last night when buying some Knight Bloodline bullets I bought their new Easton Carbon Core ramrod which should be the last ramrod I ever buy. For $35 I hope it is lol!!! Caspers fix sounds like it would work but I would order a new one asap and put that puppy out to pasture!!!

Old timers preferred 'range rods' to be out of piano wire -hard. Theory was that the harder the material the less particles would stick/impregnate. Diameter's were large like 5/16". I have a few original with wooden ones that I rarely use, made of Ebony, E. Indian Rosewood, Snakewood, etc. When shooting they usually stay in the case. One, I hate to break it; two, I think wood wears the heck out of the rifling at the muzzle.
Now a day's Dewey are hard to beat, but I wish they made the 30" ones again. They made both coated and stainless.
I also like CVA's Palm Saver with a muzzle guide is helpful as well.

Attachments

• Muzzle protector.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 940
Put a turn of electrical vinyl tape on the ramrod, where the ramrod is inside one of the ramrod thimbles. Be sure not to overlap the tape. Just butt the ends together. This works for me on my T/C Omega.

WV Hunter:
Missed your issue the first round. I believe you've stated - your brass end pulled out of the rod?
I would rough the surfaces and epoxy (like 2-ton epoxy) and glue it back in. Best way is to pin it, but that's a little work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yeah 52, it pulled out when I was swabbing between shots. Had to take the gun apart to be able to push it out right in the middle of sighting my gun in. What a waste of time.

Gorilla glue or 2 part epoxy would probably be a darn near permanent fix. And I do have ferrl tite, done alot of arrows in my days. That will probably work as well, but it seems that is what it may have been held in there with to begin with. It was certainly some sort of clear glue it appears. I was thinking that I may cut it down and pick up a spin jag to put on the end. Would make a nice loading rod, and if I add my T-handle starter I could swab with it no problem.

I do have one easton carboncore ramrod, its in my son's gun. They are pretty nice, especially with the extension part. Having a jag on the end of your rod that you can actually swab with in the field if needed (without adding anything else to the rod) is pretty sweet.

I don't have a good range rod, I guess that's something I should invest in. Shoulda picked up a Knight Ultimate when I had the chance. Not sure why they quit making them. I didn't know they were phasing them out this past summer till it was too late :wall: :wall: :( They still have the all aluminum ones, and those aren't too salty. Not sure if they are any good.

I've been thinking about possibly getting one of those spin-jag gi ramrods, extra long just to use as a dedicated range rod. Anyone have one?If so, how do you like it? I've heard they are pretty nice and quite strong.

Thanks folks...appreciate the input. :yeah:

I have a Gi Ram Rod custom fit to my KRB7 with the attached loading jag. I use it at the range with the handle from my short starter which is a T. I love it, it is very solid and works very well. I'm going to get them for my 45 and my 54 soon.

Thanks for all the input here guys.

I was thinking about this over the weekend. I wonder if you could cut down one of them knight/easton carbon core ramrods, then add a spin-jag to it on the extending end? That would make the ideal loading/field cleaning ramrod. Because you could leave it screwed down tight when loading, and if/when you needed to swab in the field you just extend the rod out and let the spin jag do its work. No need to add a jag or ramrod extension to it to be able to swab. Would certainly save time.

Anyone ever cut down one of them rods? I wonder if you could heat up the insert in the end and remove it, cut the rod down and re-attach the insert? I have no idea what the inside of one of them rods is like. The standard knight rod is just a hollow aluminum tube.

Personally I quit buying ramrods most of them are not as good as you can make '
To the hardware store and buy a 3/8 aluminum doll cut it to the length you need ,drill and ends with a #21 drill and tap with a 10/32 tap .

Latest posts

Back