Omega 45 1:18

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Hate to see T/C discontinue the Omega (as I've heard). After making/modifying the Encore 40 1:16 in a previous post. I didn't like the 'hinge' as I've noticed were on the pin in both my old 50 and this 40 - basically the frame cut a groove slight groove in the hinge pin.
I was looking to build something else, so my hunting friend had a Omega and I started to think on how to rework one to a fast 45.
I really like the simplicity of the Omega breech area. So, built this one for my oldest. GM 34" long, 1" octagon.
Love ML with Octagon barrels.

Attachments

• Omega lug a.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 530
  • Omega lugs.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 530
  • Omega Muz.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 530
A few more of the process.
Same 2 -piece breech plug design as the Encore 40.

Attachments

• Omega b.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 527
  • Omega S.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 527
  • Omega FULL.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 527
Liked my sons so much, built one for myself and it's first 5-shot target at 100. Don't ask what the shooter did on one of the shots! ha
85gr Swiss, 530 GG.

Attachments

• Omega 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 526
  • Omega 100.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 526
Another WOW LOOKIT THAT!! Very nice job. I admire people that can do that. Lots of talent.

I prefer the octagon barrel too, that's why I kept my Renegade (an it doesn't have a QLA) very nice work, but how do you carry the ramrod in the field?

Now that is how a rifle should be built! No bolt, no break pivot, nor two piece stock! In my mind, the ultimate! Myself, i cannot imagine there could be a better rifle design, and then your craftsmanship made it a reality! Sweet!!

Toytruck:
I have a photo somewhere of one I made for my friend. I'll find it - if not I'll get him to send me a photo of his rifle as I did put a ramrod provision on it. The stock is fine, but I had to drill thru the front lug and recessed the 3 screws locking the underlug onto the barrel - leaving the center section that looked like a channel with high sides. Hard to describe, I'll get a photo. Put a thimble on the barrel. He also wanted his barrel 30" vs 34".
For me, mine and my sons were made with just shooting in mind. (In 1860's the percussion match rifle did not have a ramrod provision - search Whitworth match rifle). On my Aunts place I can shoot to 350+ so when I go there (4hrs away) I'm in a ground blind and carrying a rod with me is not issue. I hunted 2 years ago with my rifle and shot 4 deer from 210-270 (never did get one at 300) all lung shots and the last one, in late December was like the three previous; range, dial, shoot - I literally told myself afterward: this is not hunting, this is killing.. Sold the rifle to another friend/shooter and moved on to another build.

I too like this one without a bolt. Maybe because without the bolt it's less modern looking (in a small way).

Myself, one reason i like a rifle without a bolt, is because it shortens the rifle, and makes carrying the rifle in timber a more enjoyable experience. Another reason i like a rifle without a bolt is because i can carry the the loaded rifle all day long, without it being cocked. There is a whole group of shooters that carry their firearms around all day cocked, with the safety on, and they believe strongly that is a fine way to do it. Me, i don't like carrying a firearm around when it is cocked, with a safety making it safe. That is just me..

In my previous post, i didn't mention how the solid block of steel that is the two lugs holding the stock, and the trigger/falling block seems so much better than the two individual small lugs that TC made. The solid steel lug would add some weight, but to me, it seems just fine to add weight, that makes the barrel/action/stock more rigid.

Mr. RonL you are correct, the long barrel would not be good for a long haul over the shoulder.. Interesting that you say, short barrel - because I almost made one with a 24" or so barrel.. I think I recall the 34" barrel weighing 6.xx something pounds, which equals about 0.2lb/inch. With that said, the 10" shorter barrel would only cut about a pound off the 11 pound gun. My laminated stock was about 1 pound heavier than my sons composite.
I agree with your safety concerns too..
My friend with the Omega w/ramrod sent me a few photos of the frame that was made to accommodate the ramrod..

Attachments

• Omega ramrod frame.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 322
  • Omega ramrod hole.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Omega ramrod.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 322
Repeating myself, i do like the solid way you connected the lugs; seems it would help the rifle shoot straight. To hold the ram rod, i assume you used the ball, and set screw under the stock screw? Whether you did or not, nice work!

Used the same ramrod parts inside the stock with what came with it - can't recall changing anything with it.
Although you only see 3 screws in the photos of the solid underlug, there is actually a 4th (smaller) at the very rear. On the first rifle, I went back and added this 4th screw at the rear. Obviously, I didn't want all the recoil force on the 4 screws, so I have a key in the front.
One of the surprises - there is no sight base available for Octagon barrels. Ended up milling an Oct to match the barrel from a Encore base. I liked the double dovetail base.
Another note; from my factory Encore, the scope is not far enough forward - for me at least. Scope got me a few time - especially from the prone shooting position. If it didn't get me, it got my glasses! Now all of my bases are 3/4" forward from factory holes when I drill/tap the holes. I could probably go to 1"+ with no issues as the scopes seem to have plenty of rearward movement for the shooter to adjust.

Latest posts

Back