W209 didn't torch Off?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hac

Reaction score
With the advice I have read on this wonderful site I come to learn that the ML will shoot better with two primer toe foul up the barrel and that is true with mine, this morning I grab two out of a sleeve that I been using out of the safe to torch them off in the garage so I can load my weapon and the first one torched the second was a no go has this ever happened to you guys, now I am kinda freaking out and second guessing my equipment,

I strongly suspect a light hit from the firing pin.

Was the primer dented? Is there a chance your pin could be fouled? Make & Model of the weapon would help.

I been using w209 since I can remember for everything In shotgun and muzzy. they are fine. try a 3rd and see how it pops. this Muzzleloader thing is a dirty sport. Depending on the gun, things may just need a cleaning.

The rifle is a CVA Optima V2, I did try a third with no issues, I struck the primer in question twice, and it looks like the striking pad is more recessed than others that are used and torched

The rifle was clean from end to end including the breech plug, flash hole, first primer torched, the primer strike marks were identical a on all three primers

Hac said:
The rifle was clean from end to end including the breech plug, flash hole, first primer torched, the primer strike marks were identical a on all three primers

I have never had a W209 fail to fire - doesn't mean that it can not happen... Have you removed and cleaned your firing pin assembly?

Even Randy Wakeman has had a no fire issue with W209's. See LHR review. He now uses Federals. I just bought a pack of W209's the other day too. :(

Randy Wakeman isn't someone to get reliable information from. That guy will badmouthing anything if the competition pays him enough.

Can you try the primer that did not fire in another firearm to see if it may be a bad primer. Rare I understand but certainly possible. I realize this is different but years ago I had some .22 rimfires that had several in a box of fifty that would not fire in anything. With the millions of primers made and at the speeds they are produced I am actually amazed that it does not occur more often.

It would be safe to say between my son and myself we have shot 150 to 200,000 W209 primers without a fail to fire, I would think a bad firing pin spring.

Just got back from the evening hunt, and on the way in I cleared the Optima in a dirt burm and fired with no issues then I took ten primers out of the same sleeve of 100 and all of them torched off, when I got home I took the primer in question and put my face shield and my FR gear I figure if I can work on 12K volts at work this primer piece of cake grabbed some pliers and smacked the primer on a vise and not a spark, I took the primer apart and it looks to me like its not all there per the pictures online, not an expert by no means just thought I share thanks everyone for your input

Everyonce and a while you get a dud. I used to have problems with Winchester Slugs in my Ithaca M37, took it to a smith that told me winchester was natorious for hard primers. Long story short my hammer was dragging on my bolt and would loose the umph needed to fire. A little shaved off and been great ever since. Never had a problem with the W209 in any of my ML's though.

my CVA Optima never had an issue with primer fire, that said, found that when the first time I had done a true complete cleaning including pulling firing pin, after reassembly checked everything and found the firing pin was hanging up (slightly) in the cylinder. Checked it by cocking gun, holding hammer back and letting hammer down by hand to striking position while keeping trigger pulled. Could feel the pin hang up slightly. trust me the entire pin mechanism was spotless. Never sent it in to be repaired and never had a misfire, have since sold the gun (with warnings about above). Yes I was using BH 209 with Blackhorn 209 CVA breechplug. Just one more thing to be aware of in the Murphy's Law of muzzleloading.

Back