Help selecting a mzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lechwe

Reaction score
OK guys could use some help again. I need to get my 13 year old a muzzleloader so we can both hunt. I've been using the same Knight Disc for 18 years so I haven't kept up with them for a while. I need advice on a good gun to get him. I would love to just get him a new disc extreme but just don't have that kind of money to spend tight now. Whatever I get him I'll set it up to shoot BH209 so please keep that in mind. I still want the best I can get him but $600 for the gun alone isn't going to work right now.

thanks

Darrell

The TC impact is a good gun to start with an adjustable stock. It would last him a lifetime.

Agreed. I love mine. Usually under $250 out the door; sometimes even with a scope.

Emrah

Is there anything special that needs to be done to it to use BH209? I know with my disc I had to change the breach plug.

thanks guys

We just got my dad a Cva Wolf, stainless barrel black stock with scope for $219 @ Dicks sporting today. Quick release breach and 24" barrel.

There are many good guns for a young man. As for shooting BlackHorn 209.. the CVA Wolf and Optima would be low cost and a good solid shooting system. The T/C Impact is another. I had to get a different breech plug for my Optima to consistently shoot BH209 but once I had that, its been a great shooter.

The TC impact will shoot bh209 just fine with stock plug, cva needs one bought seperate I believe

What's your budget?
There are several good guns reasonably priced in the classifieds. The disc is a nice gun, I'm sure you could find a very nice one used if you look around a bit.

first off I must say I really like tc muzzle loaders I just bought a pro hunter came last week
but wife wont let me play with it till xmas. lol
my brother in law has the tc impact and he has had the primer get jammed and couldn't open the
barrel I went back to tc 2 times. the told him what primers to use and he was and it still happened.
also he shoot 777 and has a hell of a time getting the breech plug out. so he went last week and bought a optima
and shot the hell out of it with no issues. and the breech plug screwed right out no problem.
he didn't want to spend a lot on a new muzzleloader because he never know if he can go or not
do to work.
if it is his first gun get the cva wolf or optima

Between the 3 I've shot with the exact same load: Omega, Knight and Encore, the Pro Hunter stock on the Encore with the build-in absorbers and recoil pad is by far the one that will be easiest on the young man.

Forgot to add, that T/C probably makes that stock in other models.

I'm new here but have to agree. Bought my first ML a few weeks back and can't say how pleased I am with it. I decided to go with the break action in the CVA Wolf. Love the finger removable breech plug. No tools and you can push all the crud out the muzzle. If you're wanting to shoot loose powder they make a special breech plug that will set you back about 20$. I might go that route just to tinker with different loads and such but right outta the box it shot power belts over T7 pellets where ever I held on the target. Can't believe these guns sell at such a low price point.

Dan

The most important is how it feels in your hands. I like thumbhole stocks when shooting a scoped gun, they have a higher butstock for eye elignment.

Back