Hornady FPB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTProf

Reaction score
I have posted before about bullets for Elk (no sabots in CO). I am interested in trying the Hornady FPB in my CVA Wolf, but I have heard that it is very hard to load in some guns. Has anyone else had experience with these bullets in the CVA Wolf (or presumably any other CVA would be similar)? I don't want to buy them an find out I cannot get them to load.

I take the BP out and shove them through the barrel point first then they load just find.

Yep, what Lee said. Just make sure you start with a unloaded rifle. Works best with a rod tip smaller than the flared base cup I.D. on the bullet.

Pre-rifled, and ready to go to the range, or hunting. You can do a whole pack in just a couple minutes. When loading them for real at the range or for hunting, just line up the rifling with the kerfs you put in the flared base of the bullet, and they load super easy.

Guess I am lucky,they load good in my NEF and whites. My last deer dropped dead in its tracks with the 350gr fpb, I like this bullet a lot. Thanks to busta for telling me about it.
Steve

Just so I understand, I shove them point first all the way through the barrel and out the breech (minus breech plug of course).

NTProf said:
Just so I understand, I shove them point first all the way through the barrel and out the breech (minus breech plug of course).

You got it. Consider it custom fitting to your barrel. You do it at home and then you're good to go from there.

Have you guys specifically done that with the FPB in the CVA wolf? In the past, people have said some of the CVAs barrels are just too tight for these bullets. I use them and love them in my Knight, but don't own a CVA

Good point txhunter. Has anyone had experience specifically with a CVA Wolf or even another CVA?

Just my Optima Pistol loading them as designed. The bore is a little on the tight side as compared to my .502" NEF Huntsman that will shoot the 350's in one ragged hole. I only shot 3 of the 350's out of the pistol. They loaded hard, and IIRC were around 2" @ 50 yards. The 200gr Shockwaves were in one hole, so they're it. I would like to try the 300 FPB in the pistol some day though.

You don't have to push them all the way through. You can just push them in nose first enough to pre-rifle, then push them back out of you wish.

Is there a state regulation forcing you to use a hornady fpb instead of a good sabot 45?

Latest posts

Back