Cast .45ACP Bullets? Which Sabot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrah

Reaction score
I sorta asked this question a while ago but I'll ask it in a different way:

I want to use the piles of 230 gr .45 ACP bullets I have in my TC Impact. The bullets are sized to .452 for my 1911. The TC Shockwave bullets all measure .450 and load relatively easily in the yellow Superglide sabots.

I have not tried to shove down the .452 bullets down the bore.

1. Has anybody tried this with similarly sized cast bullets?

2. What about the Harvester Crusher (I think that's what they're called) I keep hearing about? What is unique about them? Could they be used?

Thanks,

Emrah

I have shot .452 bullets in Crushed Rib sabots with good results. I would give that a try. A standard sabot might be too tight.

harvester crush rib or mmp hph24 Ill shoot about anything long colt and that usually works for me, In 6-8 different guns at least

I went on the harvester site but I still can't figure out what's special about them. Is it as simple as the name implies and it crushes down to size easier than other sabots?

Emrah

P.S. Has anyone shot game with the 230 gr round nose?

it has tiny little ribs running the length of the sabot, they are designed for tighter bores, (or oversize bullets) the MMP HPH 24 are for tighter bore also

448726.jpg

The yellow super glide sabot load easier in my rifles, than the crush rib. Mostly, i shoot 0.452 bullets. Mostly i quit using the yellow sabot, because they load so/too easily. Haven't used one of the yellow sabot for years; switched to the crush ribs. Crush ribs are just right in my rifles. There is a pile of the yellow sabot on the shelf.

Thanks for the explanation. They don't explain that on the website. I'll have to try and load one tomorrow.

Since ML season is over for me, it's time to experiment a bit. Been shooting two 777 pellets under a 250 grain Shockwave because I know it works and I didn't want to change things up before the end of ML season.

I'd like to try my cast bullets and loose 777 (90 grain start?) or even BH209.

Emrah

Another question:

My understanding is that BH209 is ok to use with the standard Impact breech plug correct? Anything else I should know?

Emrah

Another vote for the crush ribs. I've used them in quite a few rifles( .45/50) and the other thing they do well, besides load easier, is accuracy. Every rifle I've used them in has given the best accuracy with crush ribs. This is the case whether the barrel's tight or typical. Don't know why this would be the case, but its what I've experienced.

Back