45 cal Sabot Question.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave19113 said:
bigbore442001 said:
What kind of shotshell primer did you use? I believe Blackhorn recommends Federal magnums. I bought a container of magnum primers and never had a problem. Also, as others pointed out, did you check the flash hole of the breech plug.

I shoot BH out of a TC Contender barrel. The breech plug is over 2 inches long since the barrel has to step down to accommodate the frame of the Contender. I triple check that long flash hole before and after a shooting session as well as when I get ready to hunt.

I always used fed209a shotgun primers without a problem. I might need the magnums. After I try a different sabot or two that will be my next attempt.

As for the flash hole I gotta admit I didnt check to see if it was clear. I popped 2 primers before loading then just loaded it up.... That could of been an issue too...

^^ This could be your problem. After so many shots, the primer will carbon up the flash channel. Find the proper sized drill bit and give it a good cleaning. You'll be surprised how much carbon is in there.

sqezer said:
GM54-120 said:
How is it that numerous people shoot BH209 and easy loading PowerBelts and even ive shot 460gr-488gr easy loading conicals with hardly a hickup? Ive also shot the 300gr PB 45cal without the slightest hint of ignition lag.

IMO a tight fitting projectile is only a small part of the answer and will not always ensure ignition. MY ULA for example loads sabots easy and ignites powders with even higher ignition temps than BH209 with authority.

I believe the solution to the vast majority of BH209 ignition issues lies in the breach plug.

Did I read this correctly or my eyes playing tricks on me. :d'oh!: :poke:

Yes you did. :D

I got them super cheap and they shot beautifully. Impact performance was lack luster with a 90gr BH209 load and awful with 100gr. They are too tight for my current 45cal bores though. I really wanted to revisit these in a faster twist with 80gr loads. The sectional density is pretty good for a PB but a 350gr version would have been so much better.

Got to put some rounds down range with the CVA. Used the crush ribbed green and 300 gr XTP's that I always used in my TC. Had zero problems with ignition.

I did notice that the Fed 209A primers were a tad loose or should I say non snug fitting in the BH209 CVA breech plug. So are some SG primers tighter than other as far as fit (I dont have any other primers to compare to)

dave19113 said:
Got to put some rounds down range with the CVA. Used the crush ribbed green and 300 gr XTP's that I always used in my TC. Had zero problems with ignition.

I did notice that the Fed 209A primers were a tad loose or should I say non snug fitting in the BH209 CVA breech plug. So are some SG primers tighter than other as far as fit (I dont have any other primers to compare to)

Yup look at the chart Squeeze posted a link too. You might also want to get the shim kit for the CVA firing pin bushing too. It will help adjust the headspace.

ShawnT said:
dave19113 said:

Yup look at the chart Squeeze posted a link too. You might also want to get the shim kit for the CVA firing pin bushing too. It will help adjust the headspace.

Much thanx.... Ill give it a look and see if I cant get my hands on some other primers.

Latest posts

Back