Quality of T/C and CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting the itch for a new inline. Is the any difference in quality between a T/C and CVA. Never owned a CVA before only T.C and Remington 700ML.
I am not looking at the bottom of the lines. I'll be buying middle to top of the line.

Do you currently own a Knight? Is it being ruled out for consideration?

I own a T/C Pro Hunter and a CVA Accura V2, both have pluses and minuses. I wouldn't trade either one, they are both shooters.

Another vote for taking a hard look at the Knight's....especially if you plan to look at top of the line guns. Quality is top notch, made in USA, and they flat shoot. My personal favorite of the new Knights is the UltraLite.

TC & CVA do make nice guns, and their low/mid level guns are pretty nice guns that are priced very well for what you get...imo.

Yes do take a hard look at the Knight, they are a high quality gun. I got rid of mine the added weight and a bolt action that does not contain the pressure it has a BP just like the others. But do take a good look at the a lot of people like them best. Also recommend shouldering all the guns you look at the way they fit YOU is what counts most.

My only complaint on my CVA Apex is the camo finish on the butt stock and forend is peeling off. CVA either didn't clear coat them or used a poor clear coat. On the plus side, when I emailed CVA about it, I never heard anything back from them but did receive a new camo forend in the mail free of charge. I need to send another email off and see if they send me a new butt stock :D I'm going to have my nephew spray them with some auto clear coat.

Our TC's camo finish still looks new and it's an older Triumph. The weather shield coating also still looks new, no chips or flakes.

Both rifles shoot great. Won't part with either one of them.

It's sometimes like Ford vs Chevy, everyone has faves. Agree, shoulder it for feel, shoot it for performance and find miniscule differences in performance. Look at it this way, Do your homework and they all shoot. Sometimes it boils down to " I just like how it looks", will keep you you from regret and spending more down the road when the next HOT model comes out!

BuckDoeHunter said:
My only complaint on my CVA Apex is the camo finish on the butt stock and forend is peeling off. CVA either didn't clear coat them or used a poor clear coat. On the plus side, when I emailed CVA about it, I never heard anything back from them but did receive a new camo forend in the mail free of charge. I need to send another email off and see if they send me a new butt stock :D I'm going to have my nephew spray them with some auto clear coat.

Our TC's camo finish still looks new and it's an older Triumph. The weather shield coating also still looks new, no chips or flakes.

Haven't tried it myself, but you could do a test on the old forend with some clear Plasti Dip. Might give it that soft-touch feel, and would be less slippery than automotive clear coat?

Wal*Mart has rattle cans in the paint department. I'm pretty sure CVA was putting the soft-touch clear coat on the Apex when they first came out, but it might not have been durable enough? I know I seen one years ago that was peeling on the cap on the butt stock.

Maybe the clear Plasti Dip will not be durable either? Just a thought.

all those scratches, dings and wear were earned. Its a tool. It gets drug through all the worst environment we can find. used as a shield when I bull through the briars and bramble. all those scars and blemishes tell a story. It doesnt degrade the gun a bit, It just adds character. Thats not misuse, thats just use. The safe queen that just gets polished and pampered is the one that gets misused. we all have a few bruises and scars. thats life. :D

steve-in-atco said:
Getting the itch for a new inline. Is the any difference in quality between a T/C and CVA. Never owned a CVA before only T.C and Remington 700ML.
I am not looking at the bottom of the lines. I'll be buying middle to top of the line.

Cva's the accura's are not to bad at all. probably the only one i would buy I will try one sooner or later. seen them shoot very good also . I do have 2 cva Electra's though. they shoot real well also. 1 is still new in the box.
I just got a pro hunter fx and so far I like it a lot. I am holding out on the new Remington 700 ultimate till I get some more range reports and reviews.
Knights have always been good shooters. a fellow club member shoots them. I think he might have every one they have ever made. lol
only 3 tc muzzle loaders to chose from now.impact, triumph or pro hunter's. if you can find a tc omega. they are real great shooting guns. there some still around new. a gun shop around me has the
black thumbhole for 499.00 and non thumbhole for.399.00
I just like shooting black powder guns. I bought the prohunter instead of the acurra right now because I like that it has a steel frame not a alloy frame .
try looking at this sight to see a little of what out there in the market right now. http://www.muzzle-loaders.com/

BuckDoeHunter said:

The new forend CVA sent you might have an upgraded clear coat on it already, you might want to ask CVA about it.

d.winsor said:
The new forend CVA sent you might have an upgraded clear coat on it already, you might want to ask CVA about it.

I have wondered if they did, I don't read too many complaints about CVA's camo finish, only two IIRC. Someday the old forend and stock may get dipped in MuddyGirl camo, don't ask me why, I just really like that camo combo and I do have two daughters so I can always say "Its my daughters rifle" :D

another +1 for looking at the Knight Rifles. I am a bit Hamstrung by my state's unique laws regarding Muzzleloaders however my MK-85s have performed flawlessly. My partner has a bighorn and his reports are the same. We are forced to use #11 caps and loose powder and to date I have not experienced any reliability issues. These guns are well built and Accurate.
Good Luck with your search.

Squeeze said:
all those scratches, dings and wear were earned. Its a tool. It gets drug through all the worst environment we can find. used as a shield when I bull through the briars and bramble. all those scars and blemishes tell a story. It doesnt degrade the gun a bit, It just adds character. Thats not misuse, thats just use. The safe queen that just gets polished and pampered is the one that gets misused. we all have a few bruises and scars. thats life. :D

Well said! :yeah:

Update on CVA camo finish.

Emailed them about my Apex camo finish peeling off. They responded a few days later:

Tim,

We can replace the stock under warranty. We don't clear coat any of our stocks, especially the Apex and Accura. Let us know and we will replace it for you.

Ken Morgan
Customer service

Interesting they don't clear coat them

There really ARE only 2 main muzzleloader options, for mass produced factory guns. TC and CVA, their quality is fair, better than traditions, not as good as Knight. Then there are a few manufacturers who did, or do sporadically produce a model or 2, then there are several high end custom manufacturers, and or the home builders/barrel replacement options. but really, overall muzzleloader spectrum make/model choices are very limited when compared to the shotgun, or centerfire world

If you haven't decided which gun yet, here's my two cents.

Knight builds a great gun but just like anyone else they are not without issues. I had a top of the line Mountaineer with stuck primers / excessive blow back that I had to send to Knight once & once to a Knight staffer. (both times on my dime for a brand new 800.00 gun) The staffer fixed it. The Knight factory couldn't, so there's that. If you choose to use Knight accessories they are WAY overpriced & their shipping can be as well.

TC used to be second to none with their customer service, but after being purchased by S&W their customer service has turned to crap & they have stopped producing some of their popular M/L's & all of their side lock models. There are rumors that they are going to drop M/L's all together. For those discontinued models, parts availability is already becoming sparse.

There is a spin off company that makes the LHR Redemption. These are built by a few guys from the old original TC company. I can't tell you much more that that.

CVA has stepped up their game the last few years, but if you have an issue you can encounter headaches if you don;t know who to call. However, if you do need them I can always give you the proper contact # & you will get the answers you need. With that being said, I would highly recommend the CVA's. The APEX & the Accura MR are my personal favorites. I would suggest that you call Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop & discuss your wants & needs with him. 910-692-7936. You WON'T find a better guy to seal with, his knowledge & experience are incredible, & unlike any other dealer or manufacturer, he will set your gun up for any powder, bullet, &/or scope combo you want & if time permits, will even sight it in for you.......at no extra labor cost!! Nobody else will do that. You will also get a better price & should you have any issues at all, Carlos WILL be there for you & WILL take care of you.

In any case, good luck with your search. You're gonna have a LOT of fun.

Greg

Latest posts

Back