Plan for Finding Best Load for New Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vandy - I've read your original post and to say that I'm surprised by the lack of performance is an understatement. I have a CVA Optima shooting 1" groups at 100yds using 100gr (volume) BH209, W209A primers, and 250gr Hornady SST-ML bullets. I would tend to think that the Accura should be capable of equal or better groups.

Good luck.
David

yoda4x4 said:
Vandy - I've read your original post and to say that I'm surprised by the lack of performance is an understatement. I have a CVA Optima shooting 1" groups at 100yds using 100gr (volume) BH209, W209A primers, and 250gr Hornady SST-ML bullets. I would tend to think that the Accura should be capable of equal or better groups.

Good luck.
David

I agree. I am quite confident it is not me causing these large groups, particularly as the groups are relatively consistent (between 2.3 and 2.9 M.O.A.) and have been shot over multiple sessions. With centerfires, I have no issue shooting sub M.O.A., with the ones I own. My slug guns, and other muzzleloaders I have not had an issue shooting 1.5 M.O.A. or better, with loads they like, at 100 yards in the past. I am hoping I just have not yet shot a combination this particular gun likes.

You shot the 250tmz with a smooth black sabot? No wonder you completely missed the target. It's a boattail. The smooth black isn't designed for a bt. With Harvesters you can only use the yellow's.

Vandy - have you considered contacting CVA? I would. Maybe you got a less than ideal barrel. I would.

David

You have some decent groups... have you taken those that shot the best so far, and tried various amounts of powder - or just all at 105gr? My guess is you can tighten up somewhat going up or down a little.

The full task you have laid out is ALOT of work and record keeping for sure. I'd pick the two or three that I liked best, and run various loads and see what you come up with.

rangerod said:
You shot the 250tmz with a smooth black sabot? No wonder you completely missed the target. It's a boattail. The smooth black isn't designed for a bt. With Harvesters you can only use the yellow's.

My thoughts exactly.

Getting a copper boattail to shoot in a normal sabot can be frustrating. Ive only had luck with the Barnes 458 SOCOM in a tight 54cal sabot made for .452 and in my 52cal sabots. All other attempts were pretty bad. I had no luck getting the 285gr Spitfire MZ to shoot in anything but the boattail sabots.

You might have better luck with the lighter 250gr boattails and the tightest regular sabot you can load.

yoda4x4 said:
Vandy - have you considered contacting CVA? I would. Maybe you got a less than ideal barrel. I would.

David

I have not contacted CVA, but don't plan to just yet. Moving to heavier 290 and 300 grain bullets shrunk my groups by more than 1 M.O.A. and I am down to about 1.5 or better. I tried a different target with the 290s and with the sun had a lot of glare and couldn't focus that well. I think I can get the 290 and 300 bullets down closer to 1 M.O.A. assuming I can do that I don't think there is anything wrong with the barrel. I do think my barrel has a preference for the heavier bullets, which is fine by me.

WV Hunter said:
You have some decent groups... have you taken those that shot the best so far, and tried various amounts of powder - or just all at 105gr? My guess is you can tighten up somewhat going up or down a little.

The full task you have laid out is ALOT of work and record keeping for sure. I'd pick the two or three that I liked best, and run various loads and see what you come up with.

All groups have been at 105 grains so far. I have a few more combos to test. I will then take what seem to be the beat three or four and try different charge weights. Once I get to that point I plan on shooting 3 groups of 3 to take the average best group for comparison.

Well, I will say that I shoot the Barnes TMZ "flat-tails" with a MMP 24, designed for a boat-tail, with no problems what-so-ever. Granted, I am happy with1" at 100 yards.

"I do not see how a 5 or 10 shot group will tell me anything I can use for hunting that a 3 shot group will not."

You must be Vance. Look darlin, Vance. What do you think, darlin? Should I like him? I don't know, there's just something about him, something about his talk. I don't know, reminds me of... me. No, I'm sure of it. I like him. I believe he knows heezgotzskilz.
maxresdefault.jpg

Have a great time in your endeavor, sir.

Back