Anyone still shooting the Knight .52 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When they brought the .52 out I wanted one...no $$ now I see them sometimes for reasonable $$. Do any of you still use the .52? Where do you get bullets?

I seen them for sale at half price at black Friday time. that should tell you how pouplar they are,
go with a different cal.

bloodhound said:
When they brought the .52 out I wanted one...no $$ now I see them sometimes for reasonable $$. Do any of you still use the .52? Where do you get bullets?

You just use a .458 bullet which is a very good bullet - so you are shooting a the same bullet they shoot in a 45-70 rifle. And the bullets are real rifle bullets...

The only headache is the only sabot available for it come from Knight - but the price is pretty competitive other than shipping.

The real advantage of the 52 is the 1-26 twist which allows you to get stabilization with the longer heavier bullets...

With all that said the 50 is far more favored.

Tons of .458 bullets available.

I like the Hornady FTX in a 325, the Hornady 300, the Barnes / Knight copper which is 375 I believe ( .475 ).

Lots of options. If you can get a good deal on a .52, I see no reason to steer away.

True, Knight is the only place to get sabots but I bought 200 at a fair price and haven't looked back. If Knight ever went down, I'd shoot lead or MMP would start making the sabot.

LarryBud said:

I like the Hornady FTX in a 325, the Hornady 300, the Barnes / Knight copper which is 375 I believe ( .475 ).

Lots of options. If you can get a good deal on a .52, I see no reason to steer away.

True, Knight is the only place to get sabots but I bought 200 at a fair price and haven't looked back. If Knight ever went down, I'd shoot lead or MMP would start making the sabot.

All correct - forgot to add all of that...

LarryBud said:

I agree. Available bare primer conversion. Shoots Bh209, BP or any BP sub. No issues with the gun that I have found, no problem finding components. Bullets from 250gr up are available.

If anyone see's a western legal Stainless 52 cal for sale please drop me a note. I would like to play with one but I want a smokin good deal.

I failed to mention that I am in Colorado...no scopes and no sabots during ML seasons...so conicals are it. We can hunt with sabots in a ML during regular seasons...so a load could be worked up that would take advantage of the longer range, and I could use an ML for regular modern rifle season...and of course I can shoot whatever I want when at the range...so it would maybe be a fun gun to play with and keep the idea of hunting with it too.

My idea for a 52 is to use 50-70 government bullets. They measure .512" to .515 so I would add two wraps of 9# onion skin. That would put the finished wrapped bullet right at .517 to .519". There are tons of these moulds out there in different lengths and shapes. The .52 fast twist should shoot these bullets very well. A guy could ever get already cast bullets real easy if he didn't want to cast. He could buy the bullets and wrap them. Ron

bloodhound said:
I failed to mention that I am in Colorado...no scopes and no sabots during ML seasons...so conicals are it. We can hunt with sabots in a ML during regular seasons...so a load could be worked up that would take advantage of the longer range, and I could use an ML for regular modern rifle season...and of course I can shoot whatever I want when at the range...so it would maybe be a fun gun to play with and keep the idea of hunting with it too.

CO regs are probably a deal breaker for the 52 unless you wish to follow Idahoron"s path. There is a guy on Gunbroker that sells conicals for the .52. I've shot them out of mine with good results but you would be counting on singular availability.

idahoron said:
My idea for a 52 is to use 50-70 government bullets. They measure .512" to .515 so I would add two wraps of 9# onion skin. That would put the finished wrapped bullet right at .517 to .519". There are tons of these moulds out there in different lengths and shapes. The .52 fast twist should shoot these bullets very well. A guy could ever get already cast bullets real easy if he didn't want to cast. He could buy the bullets and wrap them. Ron

I'm going to have to revisit your tutorial on paper patching. It would be fun to toy with the big conicals.

admiral said:
I wish they would have just made it a .54 to begin with

Agree, they probably would have sold alot more.

I guess on the bright side....they did manage to capture all the market share on factory produced .52 cal ML's :lol: :lol:

I have used patched bullets in my 45 flinter that were more accurate than my eyeball but for whatever reason you dont have much info on patched bullets.

I have posted a tutorial on how to paper patch. If anyone is wanting to do it I would be glad to help if I can. Ron

I have a .52 Disc Extreme. I had some 300 gr. Bloodlines already and sent to Knight for the sabots. It shoots great. I didn't worry about its popularity... still shooting my .45 and .54, just have to work around lack of local availability.

Back