American knight and new sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moridgerunner

Reaction score
The original front sight on a new to me knight needs to be replaced (it looks as though the front sight had been in a hot bucket of water for cleaning). I am looking for opinions on both front and rear sight replacement, should I go to williams fiber optic sights, or maybe a peep or ghost on the rear. Also I was looking at all the sets of tapped holes and was wondering if a peep located at the back set of screw holes was normally the best setup with a red fiber optic front sight? Any thoughts would be appreciated. My older eyes might like a hunter peep.

This is a plunger gun with #11 percussion caps, I thought open sights with or without a peep might be best.

My white rifles are plunger guns with #11 cap ignition, only problem with a scope is the blowback, but cover the scope with camo tape or electrical tape an not a problem. I don't own any Knight rifles so no clue on their sights. A peep would be ideal if you don't want scope blowback...

moridgerunner said:
This is a plunger gun with #11 percussion caps, I thought open sights with or without a peep might be best.

All my Knight plunger/#11 guns have scopes. Like toytruck said, its easy to deal with the blowback on the open breech style plunger guns...not a problem. If you can use them, and you like them better than open sights, I would certainly consider it. I know I am much better with a scope than with open sights these days. :)

I have a scope i can use, I only need to buy bases and rings. That would be less of an investment than a peep. I imagine a scope is always the best way to go if possible, and in Missouri you can use scopes.

moridgerunner said:
The original front sight on a new to me knight needs to be replaced (it looks as though the front sight had been in a hot bucket of water for cleaning). I am looking for opinions on both front and rear sight replacement, should I go to williams fiber optic sights, or maybe a peep or ghost on the rear. Also I was looking at all the sets of tapped holes and was wondering if a peep located at the back set of screw holes was normally the best setup with a red fiber optic front sight? Any thoughts would be appreciated. My older eyes might like a hunter peep.

This is what I use and really like...

Peep on the rear....

Fiber Optic on the front with a Fiber Optic Hood...

When you look through the peep and through the hood gives you the illusions that you might be looking a 1X scope..

Shot these clays with the set up... Works well hunting also..

You can pick up weaver bases and weaver style rings for very inexpensive. I think that gun takes the same weaver bases as an LK-93 & Wolverine, but can't remember for sure.

The peep setup SL posted is sweet for sure, but as you stated will cost you more. I guess its all in what you want to do, and what them eyes want most. :)

You can get replacement sights from knight. Tru glo, or fire sights, are better IMO. The two back scope screw holes are usually the preferred ones to use with a peep. The peep sight will usually work better than a rear sight for older eyes. :yeah:

My bighorn has the williams rear peep, and front sight per Sabotloaders photo. I changed the FO bead to green. The red fades out too fast in dim light for my 60 yo eyes.

Shot my elk this year with the rear peep insert removed because it was so dim in the woods.

usmcssgt said:
My bighorn has the williams rear peep, and front sight per Sabotloaders photo. I changed the FO bead to green. The red fades out too fast in dim light for my 60 yo eyes.

Shot my elk this year with the rear peep insert removed because it was so dim in the woods.

I have noticed that the green holds light better than red at last light on my bow sights. I like Sabotloader's peep sight setup. I may have to try the scope and the peep - and see which I like best. Thanks for all the replies!

I learned to use a rectangular front puost in the service. I still prefer that to the fiber optic front sight. Knight plunger style muzzle loaders are the only kind I own. Two MK85's and one BK92. I prefer the XS Sights on mine. They have the squared off front post with a white strip in the middle. I find this setup quite nice. It is more expensive than a cheap base and rings. But it is much cheaper than a scope. One sighted in, they don't loose their zero.

In any case, have fun picking your sights. Shoot it often and enjoy.

moridgerunner said:
usmcssgt said:

I have noticed that the green holds light better than red at last light on my bow sights. I like Sabotloader's peep sight setup. I may have to try the scope and the peep - and see which I like best. Thanks for all the replies!

This may be of interest to you, or someone wanting to switch between a scope and fixed sights. My rifle is factory equipped with a Williams Guide Peep sight on the rear, and a ramp with bead on the front. It's a new gun and Remington hobbled a few parts from their Custom Shop to make it work. End results, there was not enough elevation adjustment to regulate the combination. Remington wanted me to send it back to make a correction, but my friend and hunting partner is a longtime guild gunsmith with a shop second to none. Originally, the gun was to be used with fixed sights only and I had intended to make a permanent shim to raise the factory Williams guide sight to correct the issue. But instead, we dug up a new in the box vintage Lyman 57wjs receiver sight, machined from solid steel, AWESOME! Being the Lyman sight has a repeatable quick release feature that holds zero, I changed plans and decided to install this sight so that I could use quick release scope bases below the sight. This way I could push one button and pull the fixed Lyman sight, then I could pop on a scope. I just tested the fixed sight yesterday and it worked very well. I now intend to mount Leupold 2-piece Mark4 Picatinny bases (8-40) on the receiver, as they should fit perfectly with the set-up. Then I can quickly switch back and forth between scope and fixed sights while holding zero. In addition, I could also mount an an Aimpoint on the front rail if that is desired. The sight is extremely well made and opens the door for several sighting options.

Sights worked extremely well, with the exception the factory .0750” white bead is a bit course. Using large cattle in the pasture for reference, the larger bead can be used for a workable sight picture out to about 250 yards on stuff the size of bovine, but I will probably switch to a smaller 1/16” brass bead. The larger bead nearly fills a deer sized 16-inch aiming black on a 17" x 17" backer at 150-yards, but it still groups exceedingly well. Using a hunting peep, I was still able to hold sub-MOA at 150-yards posting the below 3-shot group, which measured ¾” wide by 1 ¼” tall. Was testing the group with the first shot fired on a clean barrel, which was the lowest shot of the three. Suspect that if I kept firing rounds, they would continue to pile up with the upper two shots. Running low on these Parker bullets, so I had to conserve. Regardless, I think that's pretty good for an old man using fixed hunting sights. When I get the new bases installed, I'll throw my scope back on the rifle and see how well she shoots at longer ranges.

Best :)

sg.ellis2 said:
moridgerunner said:
usmcssgt said:

This may be of interest to you, or someone wanting to switch between a scope and fixed sights. My rifle is factory equipped with a Williams Guide Peep sight on the rear, and a ramp with bead on the front. It's a new gun and Remington hobbled a few parts from their Custom Shop to make it work. End results, there was not enough elevation adjustment to regulate the combination. Remington wanted me to send it back to make a correction, but my friend and hunting partner is a longtime guild gunsmith with a shop second to none. Originally, the gun was to be used with fixed sights only and I had intended to make a permanent shim to raise the factory Williams guide sight to correct the issue. But instead, we dug up a new in the box vintage Lyman 57wjs receiver sight, machined from solid steel, AWESOME! Being the Lyman sight has a repeatable quick release feature that holds zero, I changed plans and decided to install this sight so that I could use quick release scope bases below the sight. This way I could push one button and pull the fixed Lyman sight, then I could pop on a scope. I just tested the fixed sight yesterday and it worked very well. I now intend to mount Leupold 2-piece Mark4 Picatinny bases (8-40) on the receiver, as they should fit perfectly with the set-up. Then I can quickly switch back and forth between scope and fixed sights while holding zero. In addition, I could also mount an an Aimpoint on the front rail if that is desired. The sight is extremely well made and opens the door for several sighting options.

Sights worked extremely well, with the exception the factory .0750” white bead is a bit course. Using large cattle in the pasture for reference, the larger bead can be used for a workable sight picture out to about 250 yards on stuff the size of bovine, but I will probably switch to a smaller 1/16” brass bead. The larger bead nearly fills a deer sized 16-inch aiming black on a 17" x 17" backer at 150-yards, but it still groups exceedingly well. Using a hunting peep, I was still able to hold sub-MOA at 150-yards posting the below 3-shot group, which measured ¾” wide by 1 ¼” tall. Was testing the group with the first shot fired on a clean barrel, which was the lowest shot of the three. Suspect that if I kept firing rounds, they would continue to pile up with the upper two shots. Running low on these Parker bullets, so I had to conserve. Regardless, I think that's pretty good for an old man using fixed hunting sights. When I get the new bases installed, I'll throw my scope back on the rifle and see how well she shoots at longer ranges.

Best :)

ounds like the best of both worlds sg.ellis2!!

Latest posts

Back