QRBP Repair Busta' way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0030.JPG

Umm... yesterday i dropped the breech plug. It hit perfectly on the big round ; i thought all was good... but then it bounced, rotated, and hit on the thin rim, bounced, and hit on the rim again. What i was doing, was trying to avoid using a solvent to clean the plug, since i have been coughing because of some malady. A small piece of scotch brite pad was chucked in a drill motor, and holding the plug in one hand, and the motor in the other, i commenced. It didn't take long, and the plug took a trip from my fingers to the floor.

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

Not long ago Busta noticed a QRBP i had modified, was leaking around the end, and suggested i use a bolt to open up the rim, and refit it to the rifle. It was done, and it was an improvement. The bolt i used had a tiny bit of thread on the nose, so i put it to the grinder a tad.

IMG_0036.JPG

Then the bolt and the plug were squoze some in the vice.

IMG_0038.JPG

Then the plug had to be remarried to the rifle, but the fitment mortice was filled, so a pipe wrench was used.

IMG_0049.JPG

Then for some assistance against leakage, i wrapped the end of the plug with one wrap of teflon tape.

IMG_0035.JPG

The single wrap of tape didn't impede my abilitly to install, and remove the plug using just fingers. After 9 shots, here is what the plug looks like...

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

LOL a wad of steel wool chucked in a drill.. What could go wrong? Nice fix though. Im starting to wish more and more that my wood shop was a metal shop

Hey Ron,
Good save. To make things a little easier, you can put the Teflon tape over the threads in the back instead of the front. That would make it easier to insert/remove for 75% of your threading/de-threading. A gas tight seal is a gas tight seal and it doesn't matter where it happens.

After you squeezed the breech plug/bolt ends together, did you have to turn the bolt to help round out the breech plug end?

Nice work as usual :yeah:

No, i didn't think to do that, but it seems to me i should have. Seems it would lead to a more better end result, if the bolt was rotated. Somehow what i did worked; another example of dumb luck?

Only problem is, if you only tape the rear threads, the front threads will still get contaminated with residue if the plugs seal leaked. Not a big deal with BH powder however.

rsrocket1 said:
Hey Ron,
Good save. To make things a little easier, you can put the Teflon tape over the threads in the back instead of the front. That would make it easier to insert/remove for 75% of your threading/de-threading. A gas tight seal is a gas tight seal and it doesn't matter where it happens.
Putting the tape right on the end did not make it difficult to install/remove the plug, so changing the way it was done today, isn't something i plan to do; it was easy. Keep in mind i was trying to make the plug work, the way these plugs are supposed to work, when they are new. I agree a seal is a seal no matter where it is, but i didn't/don't want soot on the threads up to where i have the plug wrapped with the tape. Many times in my life, i have seen where the easiest way is not the best way; other times it turns out, the easiest way is the best way.

Back