Target 1000 yds.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long shot

Reaction score
Just came from another sight. Posted was a target shot at 1000 yds. with Knight Rifle.
Load was 525 grn. GG bullet, 94 grn. Swiss 2FF with .025 wad over powder. Sorry to dumb to post the picture, MV was 1330

That's amazing! I find it interesting he used a 525 grain bullet instead of a sabot load. In the opinion of the long range experts on this board... what makes the best long range bullet? Now understand, we know the rainbow trajectory complaint. But once you know that... is the conical better?

I'll chime in on the sabot and trajectory part...
I believe that the fewer variables you have the better chance of success. Therefore, I'll take a full bore bullet over a sabot. A while back I posted measurements of a couple different mfg. sabot pedal thicknesses - each sabot did not have all the same thickness for each pedal. Indexing would help be consistent, but to me, that 1-3 thou is enough to think at 30,000 rpm the sabot is slightly less.

At 1000; his ballistics have a trajectory of 50 feet height (above line of sight) occurring at about 650 yards. To compare a .30-06 (150gr, 2700fps) is about 20 feet.

I you noticed his group, the elevation is wonderful. Windage you can understand with even a slight breeze. I think he said it was about 5mph.

Here is the 525 on the right.

Attachments

• 50 45 GG HP.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,017
Does the article mention which Knight rifle he was using? Looks like it is a Long Range Hunter. Maybe post a link to the original post.

Thanks

fivebull said:
Just came from another sight. Posted was a target shot at 1000 yds. with Knight Rifle.
Load was 525 grn. GG bullet, 94 grn. Swiss 2FF with .025 wad over powder. Sorry to dumb to post the picture, MV was 1330

Good info. I rarely have the option to shoot long distances but always like learning what works for people. Them some purty bullets!

:lol: :lol: :lol: And some folks thought I was nuts shooting 400yds :lol:

Although his MV isn't that high, look at what that heavy bullet did at that range.

toytruck said:
:huh?: other than shooting target or bragging I don't see the point in waisting good lead myself...

Just the difference between the boys and toys. :poke: The guy that shot that target is a target shooter and competitor I believe. Most guys on forums, are just shooters and/or looking for improvements for hunting. Its amazing how many BP LONG RANGE shooters there are and just how accurate muzzleloaders can be.

I've shot a lot of lead and also copper, never once considered it a waste.

:lol: :lol: I was just :poke: too...I know of the sharp shooters using long range .45 rifles to shoot Yankees. War would be a good reason if there ever was a good reason for war!!

I was the spotter for fellow shooting , he kills deer with same rifle consistently 300 yds. He also developed an Encore that will do same thing. Technology from 1800's applied to modern Inline. He shoots 1000 yd. at Oak Ridge , Tenn. with traditional Muzzle Loader also. The old Knight in .45 cal 1-20 will work. This rifle is mounted in Boyds stock.

fivebull said:
I was the spotter for fellow shooting , he kills deer with same rifle consistently 300 yds. He also developed an Encore that will do same thing. Technology from 1800's applied to modern Inline. He shoots 1000 yd. at Oak Ridge , Tenn. with traditional Muzzle Loader also. The old Knight in .45 cal 1-20 will work. This rifle is mounted in Boyds stock.

I was pretty sure that was one of those old Knight bull Barrel 45's - Nice to see one in the field...

sabotloader said:
fivebull said:

I was pretty sure that was one of those old Knight bull Barrel 45's - Nice to see one in the field...
You would be correct and only 30 were made, so night says. This one has Serial # 2

halloflin said:
Does the article mention which Knight rifle he was using? Looks like it is a Long Range Hunter. Maybe post a link to the original post.

Thanks
Facebook page, Group, Inline Muzzle Loading shooting Nation.

It's really nothing new - well the gun is. Muzzleblast magazine will have an article on 'old technology today' in their Feb. issue - I hope...

The bullet posted is obviously a HP, designed for JD (the rifleman) to hunt with, made about 7 years ago for his custom Encore. Just luck I guess, but the bullet really works in multiple guns. The other one in the photo is a 510gr 50, made for his dad when he went hunting out west 2-3 years ago. JD is an excellent hunter and not a bad shooter as you can see! He has worked hard to get that rifle set up and shooting. He was shooting prone off x-sticks.

One thing for sure, shooting accurately at longer distances (what ever your base distance is) will certainly up your ability as a hunter. That doesn't mean an excellent group off the bench once in a blue moon. JD and others can do it nearly every time from a bench or prone. It takes time and practice..

Good luck shooting..

Back