Knight Mountaineer Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
I bought a Knight Mountaineer yesterday, new in the box for a really good price. I don't know much about the Knights so have a couple rookie questions... The guy I bought it from doesn't know much about it either. I think it has the 209 bare primer conversion, but I'm not sure? How can I tell just by looking at it? I put a 209 primer in it and it seems to seal up ok, but I'm not familiar with the plastic jacket thing so maybe I'm missing something?

Also, getting a primer into it is a little difficult compared to a break or drop down action. I found you have to slip the rim of the primer into the bolt face first then close the bolt which puts it in the breech plug. I was trying to slip the primer into the breech plug first and that doesn't work! Any tips on this? I would be concerned when out hunting especially with cold hands!

Lastly, what's the purpose of the dual safeties? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm assuming while hunting you would have the secondary safety unscrewed, then just use the regular safety when a shot presents itself like you would any other gun? That one has me confused! Thanks...

Great gun! congrats! You have the bare primer model. I hold the gun barrel up, and slide the primer into the slot on the bolt, then close it watching the primer is centered for the BP hole. you can leave the secondary safety screwed out while hunting and just use the normal safety. I do.

It sounds like you do in fact have the bare primer version. If it were the full plastic jacket version, you couldn't insert a bare primer into the plug at all. If the bolt holds the bare primer, that is another tell tale sign. You must insert the primer in the bolt for it to work properly. The primer is inserted and extracted in the breech plug with the action of the bolt. The screw out safety is an extra safety. It prevents the gun from firing if the exposed plunger gets bumped. It is also there for disassembly of the bolt. You can also screw it in and safely dry fire the rifle. I turn it out while hunting.

Nice Rifle.

One thing I would add about that secondary safety is that since it is not all that common of a set up, then anyone picking the rifle up would most likely know about it and it would not be accidentally turned off. I leave my rifle charged but un-primed at the end of a days hunt. When hunting back home on the farm I would leave the rifle on the back enclosed patio in the corner out of sight, but if family members with Kids plan to come over it gets locked in the car. Even though it is un-primed I like that added safety measure is there and not likely to be turned off by accident.

OK, thanks guy's! One more question... I was flipping through the manual and it shows the breech plug which they call a "Bare 209 Primer w/ Vent Liner". What's a vent liner???

Having the two safeties is one advantage of the Knight design. The "regular" safety is a trigger safety. The second safety mechanically blocks the firing pin. The second safety is really great when climbing into a tree stand. Even if you drop the rifle it won't fire. When hunting I actually leave the trigger safety on fire and use the other safety as my primary safety. I am a big fan of the screw type safety.

A vent liner is a hardened insert in the plug for the flash hole. It lasts longer than a standard flash hole plug. Due to patent infringements that liner can't be removed and replaced when worn out.

casper said:
A vent liner is a hardened insert in the plug for the flash hole. It lasts longer than a standard flash hole plug. Due to patent infringements that liner can't be removed and replaced when worn out.

Gotcha... thanks!

I believe all Knight rifles have double safeties. When they started in the 80's they had them and I think this is deliberate kept today.

I guess I thought wrong on the double safety.
Which one(s) do not have it?

Shadow, Revolution, Vision, KRB7 has a different double safety set up, just off the top of my head.

KRB7, KP1, Vision. These are Break action or Rolling Blocks. Shadow (break action) maybe not sure.

Forgot the Revolution.

You are correct sir, but his statement was " I believe "all" Knight rifles have double safeties". I couldn't remember the name of the KP1, or even the new version they are tempting us with.

casper said:
You are correct sir, but his statement was " I believe "all" Knight rifles have double safeties".
:huh?:

I thought he was just referring to the Screw in safety. Guess I read to far into it?

New Version of the KP1 was to be the KPX. Sounds like they since dropped it as they are not even talking about it anymore.

Back