Cooper of Montana - Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the warm replies :)

First & foremost I (personally) am a muzzleloading enthusiast. I like traditional & modern. I am not dead set on any one type, design, or maker. I have not tried smokeless yet but that does not mean that I won't ever. Perhaps that bug will bite me someday. I sincerely wish the best to the other manufacturers & hope other manufacturers join their ranks. The more the merrier if you ask me :yeah:

I found an older pic of me with one of my traditional rifles:

Cooper Firearms said:
Thanks for all the warm replies :)

I have not tried smokeless yet but that does not mean that I won't ever. Perhaps that bug will bite me someday. I sincerely wish the best to the other manufacturers & hope other manufacturers join their ranks. The more the merrier if you ask me :yeah:

If I make it out to MT again this year I'll bring my smokeless Encore conversion. I'll take a tour of the plant, then we'll go shoot smokeless. Then you can say you tried it, and the bug will have bit.
Beings that I was born in MT and still have a bunch of family out there, I make it out there some. Let me know if you're interested.

Vince

By Cooper comments, Can 200 gr of Blackhorn, T7, and all popular muzzleloader powders do a complete burn in a 26-28 length barrel? Or burning excess powder into the wind. Doubt anyone would find any reason to burn this much powder at once except to brag about the macho thing with egzaggerated accuracy results. Opinions about everything except my opinion on spelling of egzaggerated. Thanks

lptroll said:
By Cooper comments, Can 200 gr of Blackhorn, T7, and all popular muzzleloader powders do a complete burn in a 26-28 length barrel? Or burning excess powder into the wind. Doubt anyone would find any reason to burn this much powder at once except to brag about the macho thing with egzaggerated accuracy results. Opinions about everything except my opinion on spelling of egzaggerated. Thanks

It would be extremely DANGEROUS to shoot 200grs of Blackhorn through ANY rifle. That charge SHOULD NEVER be shot through ANY production muzzleloader or, ANY custom rifle barrel not proofed for charges that exceed 120grs volume or 84grs by weight.

I burn 180grs of T7 in a 26" custom barreled Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress, proofed and rated. It burns the complete charge in the first 9" of barrel, with "0" unburnt powder going into the wind. Its not a macho thing, the rifle is designed for it and up to 200grs BP, Pyro, T7. There's no exaggerated accuracy results with the rifle. If you can shoot accurately, you're more than welcome to shoot it yourself, which may change your opinion about its accuracy.

I have a cooper custom classic in 17HMR,and have shot crows and squirrels out to 150 yards with it,it is beautiful to behold as well as accurate,I will have one in a ML,and as posted by ENCORE50, I'm one that used my ML during rifle season and during the ML season,my buddy's kept telling me to get my 243 out,ended up killing the most deer as well as coyotes,and during ML season had the woods all to myself,I hope that Cooper will have the option of a fluted barrel on the there ML as that is one thing I do like,pride of ownership has a lot to do with it when you buy a custom rifle,I wonder if they will send a test target like they do all there other rifles with the load.Can't wait.

My stance/opinions on powder charges greater than 150 grains has been discussed in the previous comments.

Western Powders (at this time) does not recommend charges of BH 209 that are greater than 120 grains. Another comment by another poster preceding this one covered that pretty well.

Yes fluted barrels are an option. Please know that if you option for a fluted barrel, we cannot mount iron sights to that rifle.

Yes we will be shipping the ML's with a test target like we do for center fires.

Just an update on iron sights. Currently we offer New England Custom Guns iron sights on our rifles, including the Model 22 ML. They are great sights but a bit expensive. We are considering offering a NECG hooded, ramp front sight with a Talley or NECG rear aperture sight that mounts to a Talley or Weaver rear scope base, respectively. This would add distance to the sight radius, offer an aperture sight, & reduce cost. I'll let you know if we decide to pull the trigger on offering them. Are there any specific sights that anyone would like to suggest that we consider?

Cooper Firearms said:
Just an update on iron sights. Currently we offer New England Custom Guns iron sights on our rifles, including the Model 22 ML. They are great sights but a bit expensive. We are considering offering a NECG hooded, ramp front sight with a Talley or NECG rear aperture sight that mounts to a Talley or Weaver rear scope base, respectively. This would add distance to the sight radius, offer an aperture sight, & reduce cost. I'll let you know if we decide to pull the trigger on offering them. Are there any specific sights that anyone would like to suggest that we consider?

That should work real well - that is exactly what I use here in Idaho:

NECG Peep for Weaver base...

Williams fiber optic with Firesight Hood

With that setup it gives you the illusion you shooting a 1x scope

That's the exact same setup I use on my Encore. I really like it. My one complaint is that it seems the peep has a tendency to come loose on occasion. Not too big of a problem now that I'm aware of it and know to check it. Initially figuring it out was sure frustrating though.

I recall that some company makes a peep sight that is integrated on the back end of a weaver style base. When you remove the scope, the peep is ready for use. This would be a nice setup but I just cannot remember what company makes this product.

Never handled one, but a great sight from what I've read. Very popular with the lever action crowd. I've looked at them for my Model 94 but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Skinner Sights: They have many different varieties

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

mi1_849.jpg

Boy, reading through the thread, was worth the time, so glad to hear "irons" may be possible and the peep set up is my all time favorite,, "NE" peep I use on a NO-1 that has been converted to 450 Nitro and it has held up well, the Skinners are good quality and great sight set up, have them on 3 of the Marlins,from a custom 45-90 to 38-55, never a problem with them,, I do hope you offer a left handed version even if its limited

Cooper Firearms said:
The Model 22 ML is available in left hand.

Is there or might there be a consideration for a PacNorWest legal version of this rifle and then could it be easily converted back to a 209 system?

OK quit it, I was already starting to want one. I like the pretty wood and all, but I just cant have stuff like that. My next gun I may just throw it down on the driveway and kick it just to get the first scratch N dent over with. I swear, i could scuff things with a dirty look.

Latest posts

Back