Best Sabot for Elite .45 w/ SST 200

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cljohnson24

Reaction score
Guys, I'm getting ready to pickup a 45 Elite and plan on shooting 200SST over BH209. Which of the 3 Sabots are likely to be my best bet?
1.MMP Tan
2.Knight Dark Brown(newest version)
3.Harvester Smooth Light Blue

cljohnson24 said:
Guys, I'm getting ready to pickup a 45 Elite and plan on shooting 200SST over BH209. Which of the 3 Sabots are likely to be my best bet?
1.MMP Tan

I personally use and prefer the MMP Light tan mostly because I the cold temperature that I shoot and hunt in.

The Dark Brown Knight is a MMP with a contract color.

Lots of people use and prefer the Harvester Light Blue - It gets to stiff for me in sub freezing temps.

My 45 Elite likes the Harvester Smooth Blue.

200gr SST, Harvester Smooth Blue, 120gr BH209, W209 primer, 100yds, typical group if I do my part
200grSSTHarvestersmoothbluesabot-Copy_zps84f643b9.jpg

This is one of the things it is really helpful to know where you live as in the North or South of what state.
Since we do not know that I will put it this way if you live where the temperature usually gets up around 50 in the winter and only occasionally goes very much below freezing at night then use the Harvester light blue. on the other hand if 85 is a hot day in the summer and most of the winter is below "0" then you need the MMP Tan.

Lee 9 said:
This is one of the things it is really helpful to know where you live as in the North or South of what state.
Since we do not know that I will put it this way if you live where the temperature usually gets up around 50 in the winter and only occasionally goes very much below freezing at night then use the Harvester light blue. on the other hand if 85 is a hot day in the summer and most of the winter is below "0" then you need the MMP Tan.

Well I'm the anomaly I guess.....here in VA we are usually mid to upper 90's in summer, and the last two winters have been cold as crap. -4 two days ago, supposed to be -5 here on Friday. Yep, end of Feb and -5 in VIRGINIA! :d'oh!: Global warming I guess.

Do they make another color.. blue and tan mix should make grey? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jokes aside I heard that their is an other color coming out but have not ben able to get any info on it yet.

cljohnson24 said:
1.MMP Tan

Try them all'. Join the rest of us 50-cal sabot users that have a big work boot box full of different makers and diameters. When sorting thru my boot box, I have an assortment of 50/40, 50/44 and 50/45 sabots, I have several different packages to choose from. I'll bet some members here have at least 10. Of members here that shoot both 45 and 50 cal, they may have up to 15 different varieties.

Are the ones that come in the pack with Hornady SST (tan color) the same as the MMP Tans?

Has anyone tried the Harvester Crush rib versions?

I ordered some harvester smooth blues., the Hornady prepacked tan ones included with their 200sst-ml.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cljohnson24 said:
Are the ones that come in the pack with Hornady SST (tan color) the same as the MMP Tans?

Those are MMP's

Has anyone tried the Harvester Crush rib versions?

I ordered some harvester smooth blues., the Hornady prepacked tan ones included with their 200sst-ml.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I now have both of the .45/40 sabots to try as Iordered some directly from MMP and Harvester.

I also picked up a NIB .50 Elite this week, and plan on seeing how it does with 50/40 sabots & SST 200's over BH209...
Whichever of the 2 that shoots better will be my primary gun and the other will become a loaner.

Does anyone know someone who would want to trade an uncut Elite(non-thumbhole) CAMO stock for a Black one(either style)? For some reason it simply drives me nuts looking at camo in all black gun safe:)

cljohnson24 said:
Thanks I now have both of the .45/40 sabots to try as Iordered some directly from MMP and Harvester.

I also picked up a NIB .50 Elite this week, and plan on seeing how it does with 50/40 sabots & SST 200's over BH209...
Whichever of the 2 that shoots better will be my primary gun and the other will become a loaner.

Does anyone know someone who would want to trade an uncut Elite(non-thumbhole) CAMO stock for a Black one(either style)? For some reason it simply drives me nuts looking at camo in all black gun safe:)

PM sent about trade...I have a new black one NTH

al

Remembering that what works for one of us may not do so for others.
There is two major factors involved in what will work best for a particular gun at a certain location.
If you must deal with extreme cold try the MMP first if you must deal with an average temperature of 90 to 110 in the summer and it is 50to 60 most of hunting season then try the Harvester first.
The other thing that enters into what will work in a big way is the petal thickness and how it fits your bullet and your barrel. The wide tolerance use by the manufacturers of muzzleloading guns is well known to most of us and causes no end of difficulties at times.

One needs to test his particular combo/barrel. I have had much better results with a 50/45 and 45/40 combinations than a 50/40. Again you need to test yourself to kow.

Lee 9 said:
Remembering that what works for one of us may not do so for others.
There is two major factors involved in what will work best for a particular gun at a certain location.
If you must deal with extreme cold try the MMP first if you must deal with an average temperature of 90 to 110 in the summer and it is 50to 60 most of hunting season then try the Harvester first.
The other thing that enters into what will work in a big way is the petal thickness and how it fits your bullet and your barrel. The wide tolerance use by the manufacturers of muzzleloading guns is well known to most of us and causes no end of difficulties at times.

Well said, Lee.

I would add that what works well in winter, might not work at all in the summer months, and vice-versa.

The supplied tan MMP's, Harvesters smooth and ribbed blues, all work well in the 1:30. Depends on what fits your particular bore best with the bullet you want to use.

Thanks guys. I'm coming back to regular "smokers" after years of playing with smokeless on Doug's Message Board.
I recently sold my 10Ml2 to buy these Knights and "start over". The Savage was a great gun and I got it to shoot well, but it I was at a crossroads of sinking "big money" into it with a new stock, 45 barrel and better trigger to have the ability to shoot the flatter 40 cal bullets out of it. From what everyone has said the 50/40 and smokeless isn't worth my time, although BH209 and 50/40 sabots would work. I just didn't need to sink another $650(or more) into it so I could shoot .40 cal bullets when guys have been shooting them with great accuracy out of 45 & 50 cal smokers for years.
So here I am...after selling the Savage I had enough to buy a .45 and .50 Elite....and I'm ready to see if I made a good decision:)

The Harvester Crushed Ribs are excellent! The MMP tans are excellent as well!

I didn't buy any Harvester Crush ribs...just the Smooth Blues.
I thought the Crush Ribs were intended to load easier in tight bores. Is anyone else having any luck with the crush ribs? maybe I need to order some of them as well.

Also which 50/40 sabot seems to be favored in the .50 cal Knights with the 200SST??

cljohnson24 said:
I didn't buy any Harvester Crush ribs...just the Smooth Blues.
I thought the Crush Ribs were intended to load easier in tight bores. Is anyone else having any luck with the crush ribs? maybe I need to order some of them as well.

Also which 50/40 sabot seems to be favored in the .50 cal Knights with the 200SST??

The supplied blue MMP with the Shockwaves work great in all my .50 cal Rifles and pistol.

Latest posts

Back