Target Recomendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddydogs

Reaction score
What do you guys use for targets when shooting low power scopes or open sights at 100 yards? My 1x Vortex scope covers this 6" black bull at 100 yards. Load shot better then this at 50 yards so I'm thinking its me and not the muzzy.

Re: Target recomindations

For iron sights I use a 3 inch black bull on white typing paper. Its just big enough to see good. When your aiming point is big enough to float around in it will spread your group.

Theres no floating around in the 6" bull as the cross hairs cover it. Wish I could use a 3 or even 4 x scope but in Utah its 1x max.

muddydogs said:
What do you guys use for targets when shooting low power scopes or open sights at 100 yards? My 1x Vortex scope covers this 6" black bull at 100 yards. Load shot better then this at 50 yards so I'm thinking its me and not the muzzy.

Something simple, and you already have it on hand. Take that 1" blue painter's tape and lay a square (within the 1" lines you already have on the target) around the center bull. Make the square large enough that when the crosshair intersects the center, you can readily see the four corners. You may need to make the square sides 2" thick using two rows of tape. Make sure the square is big enough to see the white within the corners of the blue tape square when looking through the scope and centered up. It would then be easy to center up.

When using my 1X scope, i center the target on a clean card board backer. My targets i print on a sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 printer paper. When i sight, i don't see any of the target like you don't, but i do see the cross hair on the single piece of white printer paper, on the brown backer. Essentially what i try to do is center the cross hair by seeing white outside, the black cross hair. The bulls eye itself is not visible, because the cross hair covers it completely. The only reason i bother printing the target, is just to gauge the bullet holes through the spotting scope. Many times i just shoot at a blank piece of white printer paper.

There isn't much to like about a 1X scope. If i could see the front sight, i would be using a peep sight instead of a 1X scope, but alas i can't. After a couple of years using the 1X scope, i finally have learned to shoot it, not so very very bad.

I used to do the same thing as Ron... when I shot my 1x scopes at long distance, I would center it on a different colored paper or Duct Tape x on a off color. It the tape was disappeared.. I knew I was near the center. And I found I could shoot a respectable group that way. With open sight, I use a 6 o'clock hold. So the bulls eye is on top of the front sight. Then I expect to see the hole appear in the bull.

Try some 200 yd red bull targets from the NMLRA. The red is 12" in diameter. You can buy them in packs of 25 and100. Printed on heavy card stock and cost about 25cents each.
I'll see if I can find the NMLRA Target post..

Back