bore butter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
snowed in may go out behind the house and try for a coyote,this bore butter I keep running a clean patch down the barrel to get it after I soak it with alcohol is that the only way to get this stuff out?

Boiling water and dish soap when you clean. It is a good patch grease but I would not use it as a protectant.

OK went back and looked at old post I pulled this goof up before got all cleaned out and scrubbed dry and fired a couple of caps threw it then loaded it up thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't even use it for a patch lube when it's cold. It hardens up if let it sit in the bore. Then you blow a big hole in the patch when you shoot it.

I gave away all the bore butter I had last year..thought I was rid of it, but found another 1/3 tube back in one of my possibles bags today, it went in the trash.

20 years ago when I first started messing around with Muzzy's I used bore butter because it was the thing to do. A few years ago when I got back into Muzzy's I took a couple out for a shoot and when I got home I realized that I didn't have any more bore butter. Thought about it for a couple seconds, grabbed the M PRO 7 off the bench and cleaned away. I don't give bore butter a second thought anymore and just shake my head when I read about using water and what not to clean a Muzzy but some guys like to make things harder then they need to be.

stevenm2 said:
I just sold a couple of tubes of it.

I just gave away three different sized tubes of it. All I kept was a 100-pk of 2-1/2" prelubed patches. Why??.... I dunno!

GM54-120 said:
IIRC M Pro 7 and Hoppes Elite are both made by Pantheon Enterprises and very similar. Both are water soluble.

They sure are. I purchase the M Pro 7 in 32 oz or 1 gallon jugs as it is cheaper then the small bottles. When I started using the M Pro 7 I acquired a couple squirt bottles of the Hoppes Elite from Wal-Mart so know I just refill the squirt bottles for range or traveling use.

Toss the Bore Butter. The stuff was a scam from the start. It supposedly "seasoned" your bore. What ???? There are plenty of good patch, bullet lubes, and storage lubes available. Bore butter is not one of them. I speak from experience.

Latest posts

Back