MK 85 bare breech plug and bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwild

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a MK 85, that he purchased new in 1993. He saw the 209 bare breech plug and bolt that I use in my MK 85. (My rifle was also purchased new in 1993.) Knight no longer has, or manufactures these plugs and bolts. Does anyone know where I can find these items? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ShawnT, thanks for the info. My friend actually has the disk extreme set up. Unfortunately, the early MK 85 rifles have a very small receiver opening and it is difficult to get the primer in place because of the small opening. The bare breech plug and matching plunger are a much better set up for the early MK 85 rifles. I am hoping someone with a newer rifle upgraded from the 209 bare breech plug, to the 209 disk system, and will part with the 209 bare breech plug set up.

Sorry But I must till not quite get what you want. The 2 rifles, MK-85 and Disc Extreme are too different and you can't use parts from one to the other to my knowledge. The conversion in the Link above uses a Plunger with a cone tip in the face to set off the 209 and then you use the red plastic Jackets to hold the 209s. I don't recall seeing a Bare 209 plug for the MK-85, maybe one of the other guys will chime in if they have. The Disc Extreme would use a Bolt and Primer adapter installed in the bolt and the bare 209 Plug. These parts don't fit the Mk-85. I still use the #11 cam in my MK-85, never saw a need to go 209 primer in that rifle.

The breech plug you're looking for is the 209 X fire breech plug #900027 and the capper for it is #900034. This breech plug only showed up in the 2001 catalog.

Well there ya go. I learned something too. I think I saw one of those still for sale. I'll see if I can locate it.

marwild said:
ShawnT, thanks for the info. My friend actually has the disk extreme set up. Unfortunately, the early MK 85 rifles have a very small receiver opening and it is difficult to get the primer in place because of the small opening. The bare breech plug and matching plunger are a much better set up for the early MK 85 rifles. I am hoping someone with a newer rifle upgraded from the 209 bare breech plug, to the 209 disk system, and will part with the 209 bare breech plug set up.

Yep, trying to seat the FPJ on an MK-85 is a little bit of a pain. I've had more success with the "straight" FPJ capper than with the standard curved. I've thought about going to the bare primer breech plug, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I want to thank everyone for the helpful information. I purchased a 209 X fire breech plug and it fits the old MK 85 perfectly.

I have three breechplugs for a MK85: original cap, bare 209 and fpj209. Actually the original is the best for T7-no crud ring.

Latest posts

Back