Elk bullets at the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure it will. The NoExcuses 460gr has a flat nose, and expand. In observing my friends kills on elk they had a pretty large exit hole.

However, when you have a flat nose bullet with a wide meplat, it really doesn't need to expand. The flat nose pushes flesh and fluid out of the way like an expanded bullet does. It creates a similar wound channel to an expanded pointed bullet.

If you don't hit any bone, it might not. I killed a bull by slipping it between two ribs on both sides and the hole on the far side was 0.5 inches too. But there was also a 0.5 inch hole in the heart, so he never took a step. They do make a 405 aerotip which was what I used when I was shooting powerbelts. If you don't push it too hard, it will do the job.

You have plenty of time though. It would be worth it to try the http://mmpsabots.com/store/50-cal-bbsb- ... -sub-base/

He might be able to shoot normal conicals if those work for him

RANGE TIME TODAY

my Knight Bighorn with 90 grains of 777 shot the 460 grain no excuses to 2.5" To 3" group at 100 yards with a scope.

I then bumped the 777 up at 100 grains and the groups size shrunk down to an inch.

off came the scope and I installed the open sights.I got her ssighted in a little high at 50 yards and then mover back to 100 yards.After a few shots the gun is now zeroed for the hunt.I would say she is about 2" high from the point of aim at 100 :yeah:

those 460 no excuses are going to be a HAMMER

I forgot to mention I spit patch between every shot.Spit patch down and out,then turn patch over and do it again

jcb said:
RANGE TIME TODAY

my Knight Bighorn with 90 grains of 777 shot the 460 grain no excuses to 2.5" To 3" group at 100 yards with a scope.

I then bumped the 777 up at 100 grains and the groups size shrunk down to an inch.

off came the scope and I installed the open sights.I got her ssighted in a little high at 50 yards and then mover back to 100 yards.After a few shots the gun is now zeroed for the hunt.I would say she is about 2" high from the point of aim at 100 :yeah:

those 460 no excuses are going to be a HAMMER

I would say that load will hit like Thor's Hammer! Bet it hits the shoulder pretty good too. :)
I doubt any elk on the planet will like you hitting them with it. :yeah:

yes there is some extra recoil with those 460 grainers and a 100 grains of 777 but its nothing like the recoil you get from a 12ga slug gun or a 12 or 10ga turkey gun

460gr is roughly 1 ounce correct? FPS of that load is in the 1300-1400fps range or slightly higher.

didnot shoot it through the chrono and I dont think i will.

Once my elk hunt is over the scope will be going back on and i will resight it for Michigan hunting with a sabot and bullet.I sure dont need a big thumper to kill white tails and i wont miss the added recoil either

jcb said:
didnot shoot it through the chrono and I dont think i will.

Once my elk hunt is over the scope will be going back on and i will resight it for Michigan hunting with a sabot and bullet.I sure dont need a big thumper to kill white tails and i wont miss the added recoil either

460 grains is just shy of 1 1/16 ozs - that has to get your attention. Next time your at the dentist have him check and make sure any fillings are still intact.

I shoot the gun at the range again and she is still on at 100 yards..She is ready for the hunt

Here is an update.
3 Out of 4 killed elk.
the Power Belts worked great and Rod killed an elk with the 460 grain no excuses bullet.

I shot an elk one night with a No Excuses bullet and it flattened him.As he struggled to get to his feet I was loading my Bighorn but not in time for another shot.We looked for him as long as we could but darkness was coming fast and we had over a mile walk back to camp.The plan was all four of us would return in the morning to find my bull.During the night it hammered rain washing all signs of blood away and we could not find him.it sucked

Except for the one that went off to go to elk heavan on his own, sounds like a great hunt. I am getting ready for opening day too and am very pleased to hear about your success with the Platinums as I just bought a pack to try out. I might have missed it but what load did you use behind the Platinums to get those results, 100gr or 150? I am using the white hot pellets that came with the rifle until they run out and then plan to go with the triple 7 pellets behind the platinums if the accuracy holds.

Latest posts

Back