Is your gun most accurate with clean or fouled barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TripleSe7en - I have some Rusty Duck Black Powder Solvent that I keep in a 35mm film canister and I'll soak the breech plug in it if I'm shooting extended periods at the range. It loosens up the crud buildup in the flash channel and I use a rag, Q-tips, and blow thru it to dry it out. Actually my "alcohol" solution is a mixture of 3 parts isopropyl, 1 part ammonia, and 1 part vinegar. My step-son got this mix many years ago and I've used it for as long as I can remember.

I always hunt on a clean barrel. I have not seen enough of a difference to worry about fouling it. Granted, most all of my shots are under 100yds. If I was shooting longer ranges typically, I might worry a little more about it. As it is, I load up on a clean barrel and leave it loaded until I shoot at game or the season ends (2+mos). Never had an issue, first shot is basically always my only shot. This is with pyrodex rs.

I do have a new to me gun that I will try out BH in, so we'll see how that one does.

My Super 91, the dirtier the better. My Ultimate Firearms Black Widow is clean. You can hardly get a second round down it fouled, although POI is the same clean or fouled.

What seems odd to me is from pics and statements, the first "clean shot" hits high and settles to a lower POI after being fouled. This makes no sense to me. When I used to shoot Triple 7 for any length of time, the build up in the barrel would cause the POI to start stringing upwards. I would think when stuffing a sabot down a fouled barrel, the skirt would collect some of the burnt residue off the lands and create a better seal on top of the charge.

This would make one think successive shots would hit higher after the first clean shot, not lower.

tpcollins said:
What seems odd to me is from pics and statements, the first "clean shot" hits high and settles to a lower POI after being fouled. This makes no sense to me. When I used to shoot Triple 7 for any length of time, the build up in the barrel would cause the POI to start stringing upwards. I would think when stuffing a sabot down a fouled barrel, the skirt would collect some of the burnt residue off the lands and create a better seal on top of the charge.

This would make one think successive shots would hit higher after the first clean shot, not lower.

I've noticed that seems to be the norm from folks that say their guns have a first shot flyer also, typically a couple inches high. I know my guns shoot a tad high on first shot clean, but like I said...not enough for me to worry about. Maybe because the gun is clean it has less drag and possibly a bit more velocity? I don't know, just a thought. :huh?:

Back