Lets talk about TC Shock Waves

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff223

Reaction score
200 Grain Shock Waves that is.
I bought a bunch of them for cheap some time ago and they shoot lights out of my Big Horn with 110 grains of 777.......Want to use them on deer in my home state of Michigan

Some people like them but some hate themWhat's your findinds ?

I have always used Barnes Expanders on deer but want to use these up and will save a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$ doing so

the bullet is basicly a Hornady SST...so you will get mixed results....there are plenty on forums who love them and then hate them....some say the blow up on conatct..some say they pass through with no blood trail...but in the Long run they killed thier game...I think there is a bonded version also....i will say this..they shoot dead on with a right load....they say just dont push them fast with like 110-120 grains of BH...I killed a nice doe 4 years back with a SST and had no problem with the bullet..deer dropped in 5 yards and bled like a stuck pig...I like the SST bullets...they just fly so nice...coyotes hate them...opens them right up...I would not hesitate to use them ...

Now are there better..Yes...will they kill better...no

jcb said:
200 Grain Shock Waves that is.
I bought a bunch of them for cheap some time ago and they shoot lights out of my Big Horn with 110 grains of 777.......Want to use them on deer in my home state of Michigan

Some people like them but some hate themWhat's your findinds ?

I have always used Barnes Expanders on deer but want to use these up and will save a few $$$$$$$$$$$$$ doing so

The Expander works better on deer. But the Shockwave will fly a little straighter / flatter. I am currently using the sister (Hornady SST 200 grain) in my Omega (80 grains Blackhorn @100 / 90 grains @ 125, my last two target practice outings).

Wish me luck as I try 185 grain Precision Polymer Tips this week, using my Knight Vision. Hoping not to exceed 90 grains @ 125.

I purchased a bag of them in bulk also. And like you, found them to be extremely accurate. I have read forum posts of those that hunted with that bullet and report excellent deer killing power. If I field hunt, I am going to be using them also.

Me, i have hit 3 critter with the 200g SST/shockwave. They ended up in our freezer, and were tasty. The load i have settled upon for this bullet is 115g Blackhorn, W209 primer, and the light blue Harvester sabot. This load produced 3 one shot kills. One whitetail at about 75 yard, one whitetail at a measured 170 yard, and one pronghorn at a kinda measured 314 yard. The antelope was hard to measure, because of grass, and me lying on my belly, after a long sneak.

The bullet did it's job on the critters; it didn't blow up, and it didn't pencil through. In my opinion the 200g bullet works better than either the 250g, or the 300g. This bullet is real accurate for me, and once upon a time it smucked a milk jug over 1/4 mile away.

I believe some people get things mixed up there are 4 Shock Waves , I have used them all since the 300 is not as accurate in my gun I have not used it as much but the deer I have taken with it it did a good job on the 250 Shock Wave can be a bit fragile if you push it to hard but it is a good bullet for those who like to stay in the 100 grain and under load range.
The ones I have used most consistently for hunting because they work well with heavy loads are the 40 caliber 200 grain and the Bonded 250. The bonded 300 grain is an excellent choice if your gun likes it.

Been using them in my 45 cvas for a couple of years now and they work great for me. 100 grains of blackhorn and a smooth blue harvester and a fiocchi primer your good to go.

Used them twice (250's). Once a dead deer on the spot at 117 yards.

Last year, a 50 yard chip shot. Deer down. Shoulder broken..... Then it got up and ran off. Never found her.

They fly super accurate. I mean, it rivals scoped rifles I have. But I'm switching to something else for hunting.

Emrah

P.S. I agree on being confused on their performance. Comes apart/pencils through. Totally opposite sides of the spectrum!

I never had any problems with them but only used them for lung shots. A friend of mine that had hit heavy bone had difficulties once.

Have killed a lot of deer with the Shockwave/SST bullets with the 200 grain being my favorite. Never had a deer go over 60 yards after being hit by any of them. The 300 grain would be my second choice. I've killed more deer with the 250 gr SST loaded in Hornady"s 20ga slug than I have using that bullet in the muzzleloaders, but all have mushroomed as evidenced by the exit holes. Only recovered one bullet, and that was a 200 grainer after going through both front shoulders. It was under the hide on the of side. Load was 100 grains of BlackMag'3, at 115 yards.

I have also used that 200gr bullet exclusively in my inline pistol over 80 grains of Blackhorn 209 for hunting. Works great.

With that said, last night I bought some of the new Hornady MonoFLEX ML 250 grain all copper bullets I plan to run through the wringer in both the rifle and pistol. They cost a pretty penny though, and I would have no problem going back to the 200 grain Shockwaves. Great bullets.

I've had good results with the 200 grain Shockwave out of my CVA Accura, they fly great. I've also killed quite a few deer with them, big bodied deer. They penetrate well on the deer I've shot. The only issue I've had with them is at times the blood trail will be very thin, even with a very well placed shot, fortunately the deer generally don't go to far, 20-100 yards. The shockwaves will get the job done and fill the freezer, that's why I continue to shoot them. But if you are hunting in thick cover, tracking can get tough.

I always have a problem with bullets that get mixed reviews. The SST is one. Powerbelts are another one. You might use them with great results, but you'll always have that little doubt in the back of your mind. I don't like doubts like that as i'm about to pull the trigger on game.

It's why I use Barnes. I've yet to see a bad report on them, except for the price.

I've used the SST's under many names, and will not use them to hunt anymore. I've had 4 or 5 deer go way to far on the hits I've maid with very little blood. After checking the wound's I have found the bullet has penciled through. I hunt farm land that allow's me to see them run after they're hit so I've been able to recover almost all of these animals. I shot a doe last fall with a 300 gr.WM. The shot was about 40 yards, entering at the tip of the left hind rib and exiting the right shoulder(liver,lung), had almost no blood. Lost the trail in a 100 acre corn field, found the deer about 10 day's later after the corn was shelled. Pencil hole with the exit hole plugged w/hair.

I've also shot these bullets and have taken quite a few deer with them (20+). My shots have all been at ranges of 20 to 160 yards. I've never had a deer run more than 30 yards with most dropping on the spot. I myself like the 250 grain non bonded bullet. All bullets left around a 1" exit hole. The one thing i cant say is that I have recovered a bullet I get complete pass throughs every time Before I learned about black horn I was shooting 110 t7. With black horn I use 100gr and am getting .75" groups through my encore just my .02 worth.

I have been using the 200 grainers for awhile. They have worked flawlessly on dozens of deer at ranges from 10-200yds. Until the last buck this year. !50 yds broadside, hit the nearside elbow and the bullet fragmented, 2nd shot was thru both shoulders broadside at 100 yds and this bullet preformed perfectly. Now the one that fragmented, was it a flawed bullet highlighted from poor placement, or was it poor placement that caused bullet failure? That being said, these bullets shoot great out of my Knight and I will continue to use them and strive to reduce the shooting errors. That means more trigger time!

Just out of curiosity. How much are you guys paying for these bullets? Per bullet?

I find the SST 250 for $12-15 in south west Ohio but fewer and fewer stores are carrying them. Most stores anymore just carry t7 pellets and power belts. Shoot the big box stores don't even carry ml rifles anymore....

Every so aften, midway has a blemish sale regular hornady sst in 50 box (comes in a blue relabled midway box) for about ~$22 If I remember so Ill buy 8-10+ and sabots are usually ~$9-10 for a bag of 50. Unless you shoot cast, Its usually ~.40-.60c cheapo target on top of powder and primer per pop. sometimes with a premium combo, you can easily go over $3 a trigger pull. I shoot as often as I can, and my target and hunting loads are always changing.

You can always get PT Gold 260gr bullets for that price. Carlos gets $19 for 50, and sabots are $5.00-6.00 for 50.

I buy the Barnes 250gr T-EZ for $22 for a pack of 24. More expensive, but I have faith in them.

Latest posts

Back